Searching...
Highlighted

Sagemcom F@ST 3864 GPL firmware

wom-bat

Hi folks.

From the preliminary poking around I've done it looks as though the Sagecom gateway/router I've been given for a router runs GPLed code inside.  Where can I get the source to match the binaries installed?

Re: Sagemcom F@ST 3864 GPL firmware

Ray_YC

Hi wom-bat,

Not sure if @Mkrtich can provide some insight on this one?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Mkrtich

wom-bat and Ray_C

It is not clear to me what the intention is or the purpose of acquiring access the GNU_GPL source code used in the Sagemcom modem. The source and its relevant modifications would be held by Sagemcom as a private company and they are not under any obligation to share their modifications with anyone. I don't have any experience in advising people who may have a genuine White-Hat interest in improving the product, testing its security or enhancing its functionality for the benefit of users. I also acknowledge that a lot of the functionality we, in the general public, enjoy today comes from technological developments initiated from the efforts of White-Hat and Black-Hat hackers. I can also appreciate why a person would be interested in accessing the hidden Advanced Admin Settings screens for improving the current functionality in Optus Routers. 

Historically, I have read posts on various forums that indicated that Optus Sagemcom F@ST3864v2 and F@ST3864v2AC Firmware Version 8.353.1_F@ST5350_Optus were accessible through using Linux commands and then that loophole was plugged by Optus and Sagemcom in later releases of firmware. (Ref: Sagemcom Modems Posts on Microsoft's github by Matty).  I also read a YesCrowd post by an author who shows the hidden SIP Server Page, with Optus VoIP Settings (also in Google Images), which I assume is from a vintage V2 modem. Optus subsequently released three F@ST3864 models after the last V2AC and to my knowledge the loophole remains closed due to the enhancement of the encryption methodology used. 

If a person wants to improve the functionality of their home network by hacking the Optus Router beyond its released capabilities, my advice would be not to do so but rather purchase a more feature rich Router of their choice and place it in front of or behind the Optus Router maintaining separation of functionality and clearer lines of responsibility for service and support.

Mkrtich

PS: In regards to a preferred router of choice, if customised Linux programming of equipment is a passion, then Open Source options, generally used to re-birth legacy or current Routers, running on alternative feature rich freeware platforms such as DD-WRT or Tomato may provide a possible avenue of interest. These organisations provide assistance to users who wish to extend the life of redundant routers or capabilities of newer routers. Support is provided for a wide variety of router manufacturers including Asus whose products are DD-WRT compatible. Companies such as flashrouters.com also provide a lot of information and resources to users.  

wom-bat

What I want is to enforce the GPL (and other) licences: if Optus distributes binaries derived from GPL source code, then they must provide the source those binaries were bult from.  

As a (minor) conttributor to many open source projects, I'd like to be sure that usage of them correctly conforms to the license they are released under.

(and yes, the main gateway I'm using is running dd-wrt; the Sagemcom is acting only as a SIP to FXS gadget.)

Mkrtich

Thanks for the feedback and advising the reason behind your interest. I appreciate that GNU GPL compliance is a complex topic involving many parties and I don't know if it applies to companies who use embedded products as part of their product or service offerings. I have no commercial legal experience in copyleft matters, GNU GPL rules of enagement or programming and the responsibilities involved with its software 'distribution' rules which may or may not be applicable to this case. I did read their FAQ before I originally replied and came away with the 'no obligation' view and happy to be corrected if applicable. One would expect that any improvements initiated by Sagemcom or others to the core platform used in the modem to be the responsibility of Sagemcom and/or others, in accordance with whatever legal agreement they have with the source of the freeware they are using.

Being naive in these matters,  it appears to me that Optus is not involved in the process of changing or improving the core version of whatever the operating system software Sagemcom has implemented in the modem. Optus is using a product made by Sagemcom which has proprietary hardware, firmware and unique application software written for Optus designed by Sagemcom to operate on Sagemcom's preferred choice of an embedded open source platform. The modem is provided to customers as a terminating device which is integral to and an extension of the private Optus network deliverying your subscribed NBN service. Technically ownership of the modem is retained by Optus, so unsure if it meets the definition of distribution. Its beyond my level of understanding. Cheers.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
105 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos