cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sagemcom 5366TN - drops internet frequently

Hi, I have NBN FTTP and it's connected to my Optus 5366 modem/router. From the modem/router I am connecting to a TP-link switch that's feeding 7 ethernet ports throughout my home. On one of the ethernet ports upstairs I have a Nighthawk wifi router with devices connected to that.

I am finding that regularly across each day I'm losing connection to the internet, eventhough devices are still connected to the network. So on my mobile I am still connected to the network through the Nighthawk but there's an exclamation mark indicating the internet is not available. I have a laptop directly connected to another port and the internet connection is lost even though I'm still connected to the network and can see other devices on the network.

However, if I am connected to the wifi from the Optus modem, I can access the internet OK.

I recently replaced the switch to rule that out and the problem is still happening. I have looked at the modem logs and there seems to be hundreds of DNS resolution errors, and I'm wondering if this is the cause of the problem, or can someone suggest something else that might be dropping my internet connection out.

Hoping to get some advice.

Pete

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN - drops internet frequently

I suspect that the Nighthawk has DHCP turned on and is issuing IP addresses that conflict with those that the Sagemcom is issuing. 

The DNS errors are just symptoms of having no internet.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I should note that the Nighthawk is in AP mode, so I can't turn off DHCP on the Nighthawk as that option is greyed out whilst in AP mode.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I checked the default IP range if the Nighthawk and its 192.168.1.* . The Sagemcom's default IP range is 192.168.0.*,  so unless you changed either of them to be the same it won't be an IP address conflict, even if the Nighthawk is in AP mode.

What are the IP addresses of the Sagemcom and Nighthawk?

Other then DNS errors, are there any other errors that the Nighthawk is reporting?

Do any of the devices connected to the switch have internet problems, or is it one the ones through the Nighthawk?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The IP address for the Nighthawk is 192.168.0.12 (it says the gateway IP is 192.168.0.1 and the DNS is also 192.168.0.1

The IP address of the Sagemcom is 192.168.0.1

There are no other errors I can see in the logs.

In terms of which devices are having problems, it's any device connected to the Nighthawk as well as any device connected via a LAN socket in the wall that goes back to the switch.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Does seem like a DHCP overlap then. You will need to configure the IP pools so that they don't overlap.

On the Sagemcom the IP pool should currently be 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254. Change it to 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.128.

The nighthawk should have the same range based on info you have given, so change it to 192.168.0.129 - 192.168.0.253.

Change the Nighthawk's IP address to 192.168.0.254.

You should end up with no overlaps, like so:

Sagemcom IP address: 192.168.0.1

Sagemcom DHCP: 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.128

Nighthawk DHCP: 192.168.0.129 - 192.168.0.253

Nighthawk's IP address to 192.168.0.254

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for your help, I will give this a go and let you know. Thanks again for taking the time to help, really appreciate it
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So I tried to do what you suggested last night but because the Nighthawk is in AP mode it won't let me change the IP addressing range.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Get out of AP mode temporarily, make the changes, then re activate AP mode.

0 Kudos