cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sagemcom 5366TN Optus Ultra WiFi Modem Wifi Disconnect

Hey guys

My parents just recently upgraded their internet to NBN using the aforementioned Sagecom 5366TN modem supplied by Optus. 
Since they still have their old network (optus too) ive had to help them migrate many of their devices across to the NBN. In doing so, many devices (such as Sonos speakers) require an intial Cable connection in order to be setup on the new network across wifi. However, upon connecting the ethernet cable to the Sonos speaker and the Modem (LAN port 1) in order to complete the setup process within sonos, the wifi on the modem dropped out entirely and I had to restart the Modem and reset the wifi by pressing the 'Wifi' button on the front. All cable connections were secure. 

I have never experienced this issue before, i was also not successful in connecting the speaker system via the cable either. The old modem, with the same number of LAN ports, has never had any trouble with this. 
I am missing something? Thankyou. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN Optus Ultra WiFi Modem Wifi Disconnect

In doing so, many devices (such as Sonos speakers) require an intial Cable connection in order to be setup on the new network across wifi.

I don't see why would they need to be setup again. All you are doing is changing which router they connect to, so at most I would have though just changing the devices wifi setting should do it.

However, upon connecting the ethernet cable to the Sonos speaker and the Modem (LAN port 1) in order to complete the setup process within sonos, the wifi on the modem dropped out entirely

There should be no reason for that to cause the wifi to shut off. Maybe you accidentally presses the wifi button while moving the router around.

The old modem, with the same number of LAN ports, has never had any trouble with this. 
I am missing something? 

It could potentially be the firewall on the 5366 that's causing the issue. Does the soson manual say anything about firewall or port forwarding?

What type of NBN connection do you have (FTTN/FTTC etc.)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yeah Sonos (since theyve got the old gen) require you to connect to the new wifi via ethernet cable, once you do that the one device swaps the other speakers over, its pretty dated. 

I made sure not to press any of the buttons on the modem as i know how much of a pain internet can be, i assume something happen with the connection between the plug and the cable and/or modem and nbn box. 

Will take a look into the Firewall settings for that, thankyou !

Its FTTC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If it turns out that the firewall is the problem then with FTTC you might be able to connect the sonos directly to the NBN box via LAN temporarily while you get it configured, but that will depend on how stubborn the sonos is about the internet connection.

0 Kudos