Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sagemcom 5366TN 5g AC Wifi link only 11mb

I have my Sagemcom 5366TN router connected to a switch and Netgear AP. When I connect my macbook pro to the Netgear 5G wifi connection, it has a 1.3gb link. When I connect to the Sagemcom 5G, it is only 11mb. I would think it should be connecting to the Sagemcom 5G wifi network using 802.11ac, which should be over a gigabit not 11 megabits. I tried calling tech support and they say, the internet speed is ok.  The issue I have is that I know the Sagecom wifi is slow as it takes forever to transfer data to and from my server using the Sagemcom wifi. The 5G networks are on different channels, so they don't clash. Do I have a dud Sagemcom router?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN 5g AC Wifi link only 11mb

Have you checked what speed the Sagemcom thinks you are connected at?

For 5GHz the default connection types are 802.11a+n+ac, have you tried changing it to 802.11n+ac ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I changed the setting to n + ac, but my macbook pro's network utility still says the link is 11mb.

I checked the modem, and it just shows a signal rate of 1170 mbps. I'm not sure if that is the link connection. If it was at 1170mbps, it wouldn't explain the slow transfer speeds to the server compared to the Netgear AP. Using my Iphone, I found the signal strength is stronger on the Optus wifi over the Netgear Wifi.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I checked the modem, and it just shows a signal rate of 1170 mbps. I'm not sure if that is the link connection.

That'll just be the theoretical max, not actual speed.

If it was at 1170mbps, it wouldn't explain the slow transfer speeds to the server compared to the Netgear AP.

The sagemcom shows my link speed as 2200 Mbps but my phone (old) shows it as 866. I just did a few internet speed tests from the phone and got between 55 - 66 Mbps,. My wired speed test is a solid 95 so am not being limited my my available net speed..

Using my Iphone, I found the signal strength is stronger on the Optus wifi over the Netgear Wifi.

What speed test speeds do you get via the phone? If you get significantly more than 11mpbs (assuming that you have good internet speed) then I doubt its a fault Sagemcom.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Doing internet speed test from my iphone, I get around 93 mbps.

I get something similar checking the speeds from my browser using speedtest. It doesn't explain the 11mb wifi link. It doesn't explain why my server access is quicker on the Netgear AP as opposed to the Sagemcom. There's is an extremely significant difference. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

It doesn't explain why my server access is quicker on the Netgear AP as opposed to the Sagemcom.  

No, but we have confirmed that your Sagemcom is capable of much more than 11Mbps so does not appear be be a faulty device. It could be a weird compatibility issue between it and the  Netgear AP, or maybe some setting on either device or both devices need changing. Can't think of what that might be though.

Could it maybe be a line of sight issue? I assume they are not next to each other otherwise you would have connected them via Ethernet cable.

Can you check the firmware version on the Sagemcom. They seem to ship with v...31 which is known to be flaky (it can loose its settings) which the latest version v...85 appeared to fix.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It's not line of sight as I have direct line of sight with the Sagemcom router and not with the netgear. The netgear is connected to the Sagemcom via ethernet. It's just an AP to provide better wifi coverage in the house.

I can't see any version of the firmware. When I look at the device info, in the modem settings, it says that the firmware is FAST5366TN-A and the software is SG4Y1T000105.  It also shows the user interface version as 4.56.1. interesting it doesn't show version numbers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi - I don't have an explanation as to what may be causing your situation. The number of devices, your network topology and equipment positioning in home would contribute to outcomes. I would be surprised if your Sagemcom has an issue - it appears to be a more modern modem than the Netgear A/P which is showing 1300 Mbps as its maximum signal rate (see article below). 

It's difficult to understand what specifications carrier modems have as they are rarely published in detail. Based on what I see in the F@ST5366TN-A, the Wi-Fi Signal Speeds shown are link speeds, not data throughput speeds which would be in the order of 50-60% of these. These speeds are what the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz radios are capable of achieving in a lab where only one Wi-Fi device is in operation equipped with an equivalent adapter technology - this doesn't occur in the real world due to variety of devices and diversity of adapters, so the air bandwidth becomes a shared resource amongst disparate Wi-Fi clients in home.   

We know the modem is limited at best case to a maximum of 40/80 Mhz channel aggregation depending on what band is being used, 450 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz and allegedly 2200 Mbps on 5 Ghz - not sure if that is a typo or it is actually 1733 Mbps (4 streams @ MCS9) giving it a total of AC2200.  Modems having 2167 Mbps (2200) use 1024 QAM modulation with MCS10/11 and are generally at a higher price point and will only operate at that theoretical level with an adapter which also supports the same scheme.

On my Mini Mac connected to the 5Ghz radio SSID of the F@ST5366 TN-A which is rated at 2200 Mbps, the AirPort Utility shows a very low signal speed of 59 Mbps, MCS Index 1, NSS 1, -69 dBm RSSI and 95 dBM Noise - it is 30 metres away upstairs and going through two gyprock walls and a wooden floor. Not a surprising result given the environment and I have about 5 concurrent Wi-Fi devices at home competing for bandwidth.

On an iPad 4th Gen (a/b/g/n only) connection to adjacent F@ST 5366TN-A downstairs, it shows a variable 150 Mbps and 81 Mbps signal speed which is OK given it would never reach 450 Mbps in the real world.

When the Mini Mac (ac) was Wi-Fi connected to the upstairs Apple Time Capsule (ac) which was adjacent to the ATC, the signal speed was 1053 Mbps, -50 dBM RSSI, -93 dBM Noise , MCS Index 8, NSS 3. 

Signal speeds will constantly adjust between whatever the best combination is at that point in time for the device. This article is a good reference table to the relationship between MCS Index, Spatial Streams, Modulation Type, Coding Rate, 20-40-80-160 Mhz Channels with 800ms and 400 ms Guard Index. Once you have a signal speed result, you can trace its actual configuration to see what combination of factors are giving you that result. You can also see most of the Advertised 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz equipment combinations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@CoachSam wrote:

It's not line of sight as I have direct line of sight with the Sagemcom router and not with the netgear. The netgear is connected to the Sagemcom via ethernet. It's just an AP to provide better wifi coverage in the house.

Ah,  the netgear keep popping into my head and I'm getting it confused with the server and completely forgot that the issues was between the sagemcom and the server, not sagemcom and the netgear.  So in my previous post my comparability & line of sight statement whould have been about the server not the netgear. 😥Sorry about that 😥.

I can't see any version of the firmware. When I look at the device info, in the modem settings, it says that the firmware is FAST5366TN-A and the software is SG4Y1T000105.  It also shows the user interface version as 4.56.1. interesting it doesn't show version numbers.

SG4Y1T000105 is the firmware version number.  Its definitely refereed as a firmware version in  Modem Settings->Maintenance->Software Updates .

I'm surprised its up to 105 as I didn't see it announced in the main 5366TN  thread where we discuss all this routers issues.

0 Kudos