Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
dpascall87
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366 TN bridge mode

Hi @YetAnotherAcc ,

Ok so all of what you said has made sense to me.

My network is running a DrayTek2360 for ADSL2+ which is connected to our server and netextender.

We have just got FTTC and is up and running on the 5366LTE device no problems. but as our server is the DHCP for our network we need the 5366 to run in bridgemode. our WAN2 port is our ethernet port and it runs on PPPoE. see link below how the draytek works with NBN DODO.

https://faq.draytek.com.au/2019/08/22/how-to-connect-a-draytek-vigor2860-router-to-dodo-nbn/ 

we have no phones running on this as they are run on a separate system.

Do you have any ideas for this or will this not work.

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@dpascall87 wrote:

We have just got FTTC and is up and running on the 5366LTE device no problems. but as our server is the DHCP for our network we need the 5366 to run in bridgemode.

The 5366 does not have bridge mode. If you don't use the Optus phone then you don't need to use the 5366 at all, you can connect the DrayTek2360 directly to the NBN box.

Configuration wise, I think you only need to make two changes to the DrayTek2360 config.

Use the WAN2 config, but disable Tag insertion (Optus does not use it), and use Static or Dynamic IP instead of PPPoE (No login's required on Optus).

0 Kudos
dpascall87
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Oh yea, that could work... the only problem I see here is that we got this modem for it's 4g backup capabilities? I might try what you said and have it plugged in directly? but I guess I'll need to go back to optus for a 4g modem?
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@dpascall87 wrote:
Oh yea, that could work... the only problem I see here is that we got this modem for it's 4g backup capabilities? I might try what you said and have it plugged in directly? but I guess I'll need to go back to optus for a 4g modem?

It depends on whether or not auto switching to 4G backup is worth having the 5366 on 24/7 365 just for that.

If you still wan't to use the 5366, then you can disable its NAT and DHCP along with the WIFI. It won't be proper bridging but it should be good enough for most scenarios. 

I'd also advise testing that the 4G backup actually works by using it without connecting it to the NBN box. That's because Optus sent out a batch of ~800 5366LTE with wrong SIMs and the 4G backup did not work.

0 Kudos
dpascall87
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

hahaha yea. I received that. spent a day trying to activate it. then received another sim in the mail the next day.
Yea i currently have those turned off (well except wifi so I can be on both networks at once). and it is not working. should i be using static/dynamic for this instead of PPPoE?
Ideally the 4g backup would be great as I hear that these devices go down every now and then and we have our email/netextender set up on our server rather than in the cloud. so once this goes down we cant get emails. So DHCP, NAT (wifi to go off once it works) and set up WAN2 to be static/dynamic with tagging turned off. These's just a lot of options in the Static/Dynamic IP setup there?
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@dpascall87 wrote:
hahaha yea. I received that. spent a day trying to activate it. then received another sim in the mail the next day.

At least you were not one of the really unlucky ones that only found out that the SIM was bad during an outage.

should i be using static/dynamic for this instead of PPPoE?

Yes, use dynamic.

Ideally the 4g backup would be great as I hear that these devices go down every now and then

Well if its the "devices" that go down then I doubt 4G backup will work either as that is on the device.

As for actual network outage that is really a roll of the dice for not only location but NBN type. FTTN & NBN HFC have a lot more network outages then FTTC from what I can tell.

I'm on FTTC and think I only ever have one noticeable outage in 8 months, and that didn't last too long I don't think.

These's just a lot of options in the Static/Dynamic IP setup there?

Can you supply a pic of the Static/Dynamic IP setup page?

dpascall87
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Oh yea i meant that it was a Telstra outage on the ADSL rather than our equipment. and we had to try and use a little telstra 4g dongle as backup but had a lot of troubles. needed to get some DNS settings updated for emails off of a 4g dongle.... no fun.

Here is the Static/Dynamic Page

dpascall87_0-1591252700870.png

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I think all you need to change are:

• Check Enable
  • MTU = 1500
  • Check Obtain IP address automatically
dpascall87
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok that trick worked when I plugged the NBN Box straight into WAN2. seemed to work seamlessly. 

Then I have tried to connect through the optus box as this is FTTC I have the NBN connected to the WAN of the 5536, then LAN1 connected to WAN2 of the Draytek. I have the NAT off, the DHCP off and the wifi off. But just getting nothing unfortunately. If you have any other ideas that would be awesome will discuss in house tomorrow if we just get rid of the 5366 and maybe look at a 4g Backup.

dpascall87_0-1591256517868.png

Thanks so much for your help

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@dpascall87 wrote:

Ok that trick worked when I plugged the NBN Box straight into WAN2. seemed to work seamlessly. 

Then I have tried to connect through the optus box as this is FTTC I have the NBN connected to the WAN of the 5536, then LAN1 connected to WAN2 of the Draytek. I have the NAT off, the DHCP off and the wifi off. But just getting nothing unfortunately.

Ah, yes. The solution I gave is definitely for a direct connection to the NBN box because its using "obtain IP automatically".

When connecting via the 5366, that "obtain IP automatically" should be asking the 5366 for the IP address. As you have disabled DHCP, the 5366 has no IP to give it, so either set a static IP in the 5366 for the DrayTek (not that same as the DrayTek's current IP as that's its LAN IP) , or just enable DHCP. The 5366's DHCP should not conflict with DrayTek's DHCP as long as the subnet ranges don't overlap.

I think that's all that is missing.