Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366 TN bridge mode

Worked a treat.
Thanks so much for your help it has been invaluable.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How do I change the firewall settings ? IF I can setup the WAN port to accept all incoming traffic and disable NAT, then it is effectively in bridge mode. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@MiJuDesign wrote:

How do I change the firewall settings ? 

You can't disable the firewall, that is a known issue.

IF I can setup the WAN port to accept all incoming traffic and disable NAT, then it is effectively in bridge mode. 

You can set up a DMZ zone (i thinks its somewhere under network settings) which should pass on all the traffic to the nominated device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

If I have 2 5366TN and I want to structure the second "B" unit to sit behind the main "A" unit. Check these intended config rules.

Unit A (primary) 

==================

- I setup a MAC address IP config to lock secondary "B" unit into a fixed address

(Modem Settings > LAN IPv4 > Add reserved address) 

Unit B (secondary) 

====================

- disable DHCP  (some people have investigated this option and found that it will still be operating even if the setting says the function is disabled) - in this case, set the DCHP range to a range which does not overlap with unit "A"- it is possible to run more than 1 DHCP server on a LAN so long as they dont overlap with each other and dont clash with any static IP address. 

- disable NAT

- setup DMZ for the IP address allocated by main unit "A"

- Under newer firmware, it is possible to set the LAN address. If you have this option you may not need to reserve the IP address mentioned above. 

Would the DMZ configuration rule crash the "B" 5366TN if it refers to itself ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@MiJuDesign wrote:

Would the DMZ configuration rule crash the "B" 5366TN if it refers to itself ? 

All the DMZ rule should do is disable filters for the traffic going to the nominated device so I doubt it would crash anything. If it does you can always do a factory reset to bring it back.

I can't see why you would want the config you've shown. What are you configuring B that way?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Before I go around buying a bunch of these modems to setup as WiFi nodes in my house (and switching hubs) I want to know if anyone tested this method as a pseudo for Bridge Mode (which doesnt exist as a user option). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The DMZ works from WAN-->LAN (i.e. because the intent is to disable filtering on the traffic that enters the WAN port) , and in B you are trying to configure it as LAN-->WAN which s redundant as LAN-->WAN should not be firewall filtered, just route filtered.

The only time you would potentially want DMZ configured on B is if you had a C as well, and are going from LAN B (which would nominally be a WAN port in that scenario) --> WAN C (Nominally a LAN port).

The other thing is I don't know if you will be able to disable the DHCP because wifi may need it. Logically is should work as it should get the IP from A, I just don't know if a 5366 will properly delegate that for the wifi.

Interesting project though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Forgot to mention that I don't think the devices connected to these 5366's will be able to see/talk to each other (between the 5366's) unless they are all on the same subnet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It appears the Optus 5366TN does have a "pseudo" bridge mode to add more WiFi signal and LAN ports (satellite node). A cheap way to add a WiFi extender or more LAN ports (which is what I needed). It is a very basic implementation for adding features to an existing LAN with a 5366TN or 5366LTE gateway installed. There are NO changes made to the main gateway. 

The configuration of the "B" unit, satellite unit,  is as follows;

Firmware: SG4Y1T000105

Wired Port in use: LAN port, not WAN port 

IP Address: STATIC IP that is different from default. 

NAT: Switched off

DHCP: Switched off

WPS: Off for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

Media: Off for  DLNA and File Sharing (just my preference to remove CPU load)

DNS: Points to itself and cannot be edited (which causes some delay)

VOIP: No longer works (which is OK because its not the gateway)

WIFI: Configured to any name and password, works and accepts connections

Lights visible: Power, WiFi 

Network scan: finds multiple 5366TN in LAN. Browser management works. 

Adding the router IP to the DMZ does not work. Even when the IP address is not the standard settings, it will refuse to put iself into the DMZ (to bypass all firewall settings). 

The "B" unit also tends to scan the network and build a device list, even though the DHCP is not running. On this device list is the main gateway and random LAN devices (but not all of the LAN devices).  It appears the 5366TN will scan the network for various packets. 

Given the unique name of the WiFi signal, it is providing wireless access to the LAN. 

There is a first-time delay on browsing the internet. After a delay the speed is normal. It is not obvious if the delay is caused by DNS setting being locked or if the DHCP handshaking to gateway is a one time delay. For my requirement it works fine, I needed an upgrade and keep a spare 2nd unit in case something goes wrong. 

If you connect via WAN PORT on the "B" unit the wireless will not find the internet but the GLOBE and @ symbol will be lit. This is meaningless because the DNS points to the wrong location. 

TLDR: With basic configuration rules, you can have multiple 5366TN or 5466LTE running on the same LAN giving out wireless connectivity and LAN connectivity in a "pseudo" bridge mode. It's just a basic configuration and it seems to work.  You can only use the WAN Port on the main gateway. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@MiJuDesign wrote:

It appears the Optus 5366TN does have a "pseudo" bridge mode. 

What you've  done/discovered is definitely useful but its not what most people would be considered  bridging and it may confuse people looking for bridging info with relation to modem/routers.

When most people look for bridging what they are looking to do is convert the modem/router into just a modem. So either use its DSL modem or its WAN port for its ISP login/authentication abilities. With Optus there is no ISP login/authentication when connecting through the WAN port  so there is nothing to bridge there.

DNS: Points to itself and cannot be edited (which causes some delay)

It would be interesting to see what the error logs in the 5366 are reporting.

0 Kudos