Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sagem FAST5366LTE-A Advanced Network Config

Hello All

I apologise in advance, as I'm sure I'm going to ask a question thats been asked many times in this forum. I have the above modem recently provisioned to my home. Everything went pretty smoothly I have internet etc etc. My problem is that I am unable to access advanced networking within the modem, all the configuration options are very basic. I have a home network which is a router-behind-router setup so I need to have access to an 'advanced networking' option to configure static routes etc.

I've spent hours researching and on the phone to optus support and the problem still remains.

"How do I obtain admin access to the router" or "how do i access the 'advanced networking' option.

I've tried all the default passwords, resting the modem (no 30-30-30 factory reset)

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Sagem FAST5366LTE-A Advanced Network Config

@mdbiffa wrote:

"How do I obtain admin access to the router" or "how do i access the 'advanced netowrking' option.

Can't do either of those. There is no known way to gain Admin access.

What type of NBN do you have (FTTN/FTTC etc.)? If you have an NBN box then you can plug one of your existing routers into it directly and and have it as the main router.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Really? that's disappointing.

What type of NBN do you have (FTTN/FTTC etc.)? If you have an NBN box then you can plug one of your existing routers into it directly and and have it as the main router.

My connection is FTTC, I think I have the standard NBN connection box. I have them both running atm but limited functionality i.e subnet _1 can't talk to subnet_2(which runs a VPN).

What are the options for replacing the Sagem with a better device(netgear, ASUS etc)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@mdbiffa wrote:

What are the options for replacing the 5366 with a better device(netgear, ASUS etc)?

With FTTC you can use any router at all. Any reason you can't make one of your existing non-5366 one the main one? Do they have routing features?

If you use the home Optus phone you will still need to the 5366 to handle the phone calls but it does not have to be the main router (some config required though).

FYI, as you have the FAST5366LTE-A which has 4G backup, the backup will only apply to devices connected behind it (or to its wifi).

What network functionality were you looking for in the 5366. Just port forwarding to access your VPN? The 5366 does have basic port forwarding bit its a bit hit and miss when it comes to getting remote access to work. The 5366 does not have any routing support.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for your feedback i appreciate it, I know where i stand now. i have a NG Nighthawk running dd-wrt which I use as a VPN router. I dont use the VOIP function on the Sagem so I may just replace it with a pfsense box.

i was looking for the ability to add static routes so I could have the 2 subnets on my home network talking to each other, the way I have everything set up its convenient to be able to get to 192.168.a.b from 192.168.x.y.

thanks again

MD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@mdbiffa wrote:

i was looking for the ability to add static routes

The irritating thing about the earlier 5366 (FAST5366TN) is that it gives the impression that it has static routing ability but it only shows routs and you can not actually change them (see orange box).

Screenshot_2020-06-25-00-15-09.png

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi there. Port forwarding for me isn't working - I have three port forwarding rules, all set up identically, but only 1 works. I only set the modem up yesterday and I think all three worked yesterday but now it's not working

I've tried deleting the rules and adding them again, and nothing. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Mike_S wrote:
I think all three worked yesterday but now it's not working

Because you have the LTE version first thing you should do is confirm that you are not running in 4G backup mode:

Q: How do I know when my Optus Ultra WiFi modem has switched to 4G back up mode? 

A: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem has a Network and Signal light indicator. When the modem is in 4G back up mode, the Network indicator will light up. The Signal indicator will display the strength of your 4G signal.  

Port forwarding in general does not work with a mobile service, so if it was working before and not now, you need to make sure that its not due to 4G backup kicking in.

What rules do you have? What are they for? And which ones work/don't work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No SIM card in it, definitely not using 4G. I want to have access to ports 5900, 9000 and 11111 for different reasons (VNC Viewer etc). Have created rules to forward those ports (external server blank, internal server the IP of my device, external/internal port the same, TCP-UDP) but only one of those rules works. Somehow only port 9000 is accessible
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Mike_S wrote:
No SIM card in it

You should contact Optus directly about that as it should have a SIM card. 

VNC Viewer...internal server the IP of my device

Assuming that you've given your internal server a fixed IP address then I'm guessing the problem is the use of the VNC.

The 5366 has a known problem with remote access due to lack of proper support for hairpinning/NAT Loopback. Some people report no issues with VNC while other report partial/no success. I doubt its specific port numbers that are the problem, but rather what happens to the network traffic once at enters the LAN.

0 Kudos