Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Sagecom modem internet connection issues since NBN migration

MikeP

Hello,

After holding out for as long as possible before migrating from Optus cable broadband to NBN HFC due to all of the problems I’ve read about I finally was forced to make the change with a looming deadline of termination of service. I was also offered a good deal by an Optus sales rep on the phone, one I couldn’t refuse. An Optus modem arrived and after an initial no-show in December, last Friday NBN techs connected the NBN cable to the house and installed an Aris NBN connection box.

Unfortunately when I connected everything to the new Sagecom modem no internet or wifi service could be made. The new wifi network is there and can be logged in to but there is no server connection. The Ethernet WAN connection from the Aris to the Sagecom is correct and I have done hard restarts and restoration of factory settings on both devices. There is no green Internet light on the Sagecom and the landline phone has no dial tone when connected to it. The Sagecom ip when logged in shows a constant “no internet connection” message and diagnostics tests results are consistently a Fail on all tests; Internet NBN, Internet BNG, voice NBN, Ipoe, Internet ADSL. Interestingly though, if I connect the Ethernet directly from the Aris to my desktop Mac I can get internet so the NBN is working but can’t communicate via the Sagecom.

Is this a Sagecom modem issue or is there a problem with Optus settings at their end? When the NBN installation was made I did not receive a confirmation SMS from Optus that the service had been activated. I have spent some time with live chat and tech support over the last two days but they suggest that the NBN connection is at fault. Luckily I still have a service on my old cable modem on the other cable line-in and can reconnect that to get internet, wifi and most importantly Netflix and Stan (can you imagine during the school holidays....?).

This all confirms my worst fears before migration. I was receiving letters and phone calls from Optus for months about moving to NBN but the cable service was just fine and I was reluctant to change until I absolutely had to.

Has anyone experienced a similar connection issue with their Sagecom after installation and had it resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Sagecom modem internet connection issues since NBN migration

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Its a hicup but this is a masive project so a little bit of setup issues for some users is to be expected. The NBN offers all Australians the chance to access cable like speeds (and beyond) and not just a portion of inner city households.

You should have two seperate wall plugs (one the old optus and one the new NBN). The physical Optus cable network is due to be torn down shortly BTW. It is however good that the NBN uses a new cable (connected to a brand new network).

I assume the direct connection is via the NBN plug and your internet works? When you try a speed test then you should get close to your nominated speeds? 50 down and 20 up? This indicates the NBN is working fine. From what you say the Optus modem is faulty. Have them send out a replacement.

Peter Gillespie

MikeP

Thank you, Peter.

Thats a good sense of perspective on the whole enormous operation that is NBN. There still seems to be a large disparity between how it’s marketed by ISPs and the reality though.

Direct connection from Aris UNI D1 port straight into the back of the Mac (bypassing the Sagecom gateway) gives download speed of 66Mbps and 1.8 up. If I put the Sagecom in the chain it drops out completely. I’m waiting for an NBN tech to visit but I think you’re right; this is an Optus modem problem that they need to sort out. 

Kind regards.

petergdownload

Yes the ISPs haven't done a great job. More particularly out elected officials and the media have all had various drums to beat in the middle of which are NBNCo just trying to get the job they're told todo done. Optus in particular has viewed the NBN as a competitor (perhaps reasonably so as the NBN is stripping it of one of only two cable networks in Oz as well as giving every other ISP access to the new networks). But all these cross purposes hasn't been good for people just wanting to get on with it and watch Netflix.

The NBN tech will probably tell you to get the modem replaced. You can always try livechat and request a replacement modem now just to kick it off early. Just tell them the NBN works without the modem but not with. Ask them to try contact the modem from their end. If they can't then its a modem problem. If they can them possibly its a setup issue. I take it you can't get to the modem menu settings? 

Note 66 Down and 2 up would be below normal rates if you are not on FTTN. You should see at least 80 down when its set up correctly.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

MikeP

Thank you again, Peter.

I requested a replacement Sagemcom modem on live chat but was told that because my "NBN service is not in sync with the system we are unable to replace the modem." They said that they could detect that the Aris modem was online but when I connected it directly to my Mac, bypassing the Sagemcom, they were unable to get confirmation of connection. I was told that an IT Support tech would phone me, an NBN engineer was booked to look at the line and that it would be escalated to the case management team who would call me back. So far, two days later, none of this has happened - no calls, no visit.

The situation is:

• NBN line and Aris modem installed to house
  • Network connection confirmed by NBN engineer
  • No confirmation SMS from Optus to say that service was activated
  • No internet or Wi-Fi ("connection to server could not be made") when old modem disconnected and switched off and new Sagemcom gateway modem installed with correct ethernet connections 
  • Restarts and factory resets made. No effect
  • Green lights on Sagemcom for Power, Wi-Fi and WAN. No green lights for Internet, LAN, WPS or Phone.
  • Sagemcom log-in using ip of 192 etc shows "no internet connection" message and all diagnostic tests failed
  • Aris modem connected directly to computer with ethernet (Sagemcom removed from chain) gives internet connection
  • 3 live chats, 2 phone calls made, no resolution other than "try another modem if you have a spare"

If there's an Optus representative reading this by any chance could you please help?

Thank you.

petergdownload

Sounds like you'll need to wait for the NBN Technician (Optus CS aren't great IMO in following up calls they say are meant to happen). Hopefully you'll get a contact soon. I'll flag a mod (who are good at looking into behind the scenes, but I'm not sure what they would do to hasten the process)

@Dan_C @Ray_YC

Peter Gillespie

Dan_C

I don't want to make any promises, but I'm more than happy to take a look @MikeP

When you get a second, send us a private message.

We'll need your full name, DOB and account number. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

MikeP

Thank you, Dan and Peter, for your efforts.

A member of the Case Management team called and arranged for a replacement modem to be sent. It arrived yesterday. I followed the set-up instructions again to the letter but again there is no internet connection when using the Sagemcom modem ("no server connection"). Exactly the same situation as with the first modem.

Internet with Arris NBN modem on its own, no internet with Optus Sagemcom router modem added.

This would lead me to think that the Optus service hasn't been activated (or an IP/DNS issue?). I never, at any point after NBN installation, received the promised SMS message from Optus to let me know that the service was connected and ready to go. Luckily I still have the old cable broadband to fall back on. I will wait for the CM team member to call back.

petergdownload

Weird. So with this new modem did you contact Optus and ask them to activate it? They usually need to know the modem serial number and can do it then and there if everything is working properly. Can Optus see the new modem from their end?

Peter Gillespie

MikeP

Thanks, Peter.

Optus can see the Arris but not the Sagemcom. I was told that "Your NBN service is not in sync with the system." The included User Guide and Guide to Connecting to the Internet pamphlet doesn't mention having to contact Optus to activate (only to contact them if if you can't connect) but I suspect that this might be the problem. I would have thought they'd have been able to do this when I was on the phone to a tech or livechat with sales though. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
42 Kudos
32 Kudos
24 Kudos
22 Kudos