Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
AndWin
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sagecom Fast 5366 TN and google mesh support NAT

Hi

Struggling to find a solution as I think I have a double NAT situation occurring.

I have NBN box feeding to our new Sagecom 5366 modem - the output of this goes to a Google Wifi Router mesh set up (1 master with 2 slaves add-ons). The Ethernet output from the Google master mesh feeds back into a 24port  Gb switch to cover all the hard wired devices and then of course the mesh is providing WiFi (really nicely too).

So the problem occurs when adding devices such as laptops etc for networking - I cant see them as devices to access (eg running ext HHD).

Likewise the USB port on the Sagecom modem (plugged in a Ext HHD Seagate 4TB drive) cant been seen on the network.

All devices such as laptops, PCs etc can access the network/internet etc no problem.

If I set up media DLNA - that can be seen on the network (eg NAS device) and same as media off a laptop but that is the limit.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The end result - I want to see the PCs/laptops on the home network so they can access a central drive for storage (photos/music/file storage for kids homework documents etc etc).

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Sagecom Fast 5366 TN and google mesh support NAT

A few thoughts:

1) Is there maybe any AP isolation enabled in the mesh network?

2) I assume there are multiple subnets involved, in which case there might need to be routings set up between the subnets.

3) Given the DLNS server is in the 5366 which is in front of the mesh, the mesh may be blocking some of the LAN traffic.

4) Given that you have an NBN box, have you considered connecting the mesh master directly to it and have the 5366 either connected to the mesh master or maybe the switch?

0 Kudos
AndWin
New Contributor
New Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc 

Thanks for coming back to me on this.

The NBN box is the Arris CM8200 - output of this (cat cable) into the Sagecom modem. This then also provides home phone line. If there is a work around to this i am all ears. (are you saying I could bypass the Sagecom modem - go directly into the mesh). Potentially if that works it might ID is the double NAT is the issue. (just left without the phone line - and yes we do use it as often mobile phone reception inside the house is not great - and the house alarm can call my mobile if it goes off - not back to base monitored).

The only subnets are the mesh System (255.255.255.0) and the Sagecom modem local subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 (public Subnet mask of 255.255.128.0)

All the DCHP addresses are generated from the mesh system. The Sagecom modem is not and set to its fixed address, which i could change manually, but as nothing is being generated from that, did not think it would be of issue.

I will try the NBN directly to the mesh.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@AndWin wrote:

are you saying I could bypass the Sagecom modem - go directly into the mesh

For internet, yes. The sagemcom is only required to activate the line, once activated you can use any router.

just left without the phone lines

If you still need a phone line then you will have to use the Sagemcom , it just doesn't have to be the main router.

If the phone doesn't work straight away when you plug it into the mesh or the switch then it should just be a little config change(s) required in the mesh master, namely:

1) Give the Sagemcom a fixed IP address

2) Forward port 5060 UDP & TCP to the Sagemcom

3) And/or disable SIP ALG in mesh master.

0 Kudos
AndWin
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the assistance. That all seem s to work.

I was hoping now to make the LAN ports from the Sagecom modem useful as an extra local switch but cant seem to be able to get that happening either. In the set up of the Network settings, it wants to Block all from the WAN to LAN.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@AndWin wrote:

Thanks for the assistance. That all seem s to work.

Glad that worked.

In the set up of the Network settings, it wants to Block all from the WAN to LAN.

I assume you are referring to the firewall settings, which as you know you can't change.

I don't know what effect that has in your local LAN traffic entering via the WAN port, but it should not have any affect on outgoing traffic.

You should be able to get devices you connect to the 5366's LAN ports internet access, but no access to/from other devices in the mesh, only devices connected to the 5366's LAN will be able to see each other.

I suspect the reason you can't get anything to work at the moment is an IP clash caused by its DHCP currently giving out 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254 like the mesh. There must not be an overlap.

So you should change your meshes DHCP range to say 2-200, and the 5366's DHCP range to 201-254. I'm assuming here that the static IP you've given the 5366 is within the 2-200 range.

0 Kudos
AndWin
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have it working, there was no clashing, I was hoping to use the WAN port to input and then link the LAN ports.. The work around is the WAN port is taking a link in to give me the Phone to work and the IP address stays in the 192.168.0 range, then send a link from the MESH switch into the LAN port and it creates the same IP address that the MESH is generating.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@AndWin wrote:

I have it working, there was no clashing

Yes, in your initial getting-the-phone-working setting. But you have now added a new requirement which necessitates the 5366 issuing IP's and if you now have two DHCP servers issuing addresses addresses from the same range they it is bound to cause clashing.

then send a link from the MESH switch into the LAN port and it creates the same IP address that the MESH is generating.

Because of the 5366 firewall, devices on the 5366 LAN would never be able to get an IP address issued by the meshes DHCP, so the 5366's DHCP will have to issue the addresses. 

I've never tried doing what you are trying, so I can't say definitively what I'm saying will work, but is the only think of.

0 Kudos
Calvinco93
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi could you please tell me how you got it to work?
0 Kudos