Searching...
Highlighted

Sagecom F@ST™ 3864AC BAD WIFI

TSW

Hi,

I just got my NBN connection (HFC) and setup the Sagecom 3864AC modem.  Eveythign is working eg. phone, internet.  However the WIFI of both the 2.4 and 5ghz is terrible.  

the previous netgear modem (only 2.4ghz) gave us coverage through the house, all rooms, upstairs and downstairs.  Now I have a tunnel of coverage and the front and back areas of the house full drop the coverage.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can fix this...eg. do I turn off the 5ghz to only use 2.4...would this help?

Can I use the netgear modem instead?  Does OPTUS actually test any of their products?  Do they have any alternatives?

Re: Sagecom F@ST™ 3864AC BAD WIFI

SamSam

Do they test their products? - I can only assume so!

Do they have alternatives? - No, not in the case of NBN

Really the modem should do what you want it to but they haven't got the best reviews on here or other forums. What a lot of people have done is switched off the WiFi on the Sagecom and plugged in a seperate modem/router via ethernet and used the WiFi via that modem. Seems to do the trick although does mean more wires, power, mess etc

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

10000000000GB

Someone here said he could use an iinet modem/router, but that was not for HFC. VDSL2 I think. There is a possibility that they are bullshtn you about alternatives.

SillyGogo

Optus only said the recommended range for the Sagem model is 10 meter radius. Few options.

1. Go into the 2.4GHz and change the channel to 7 or 9 and go into the 5.GHz and change the channel from AUTO to one that your neighbours is not on.

2. Buy your own awesome Modem/Router. If modem then connect the NBN box to your new modem then connect to the Optus modem if you want your home phone, no need to connect if you don't need a home phone. Remember to disable the DHCP and Wifi on the Optus modem. Use the new modem as your network router/controller and Wifi. 

3. Use the Optus modem as it is, disable wifi. Buy a wifi Router/AP only(usually cheaper). Connect the new router to the optus modem..use the Wifi from your new router. 

4. Break some walls

5. Use your exising Netgear cable modem. Disable both 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi from the Sagem modem. Connect via a Ethernet cable from Sagem Lan port to Netgear LAN Port. Disable DHCP on the Netgear. Use the Wifi from the Netgear.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

TSW

Thankyou all for your responses.

I've tried a few things but how I have this is:

1. NBN to SAGEMCOM modem, have turned off both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi.

2. Have my wired devices connected to the sagemcom inc main PC, NAS and Switch.

3. Have connected my old optus netgear cable modem and continue to use this as the wifi 2.4ghz through the house.

All seems to be working.  Disappointing I can just have one router to do it all.

HFC NBN seems ok (camp hill,  qld) has been maintaining the speed.  Only got the 25mbit (so slower than the 100mbit from Optus Cable).

SillyGogo

Glad to see that the solution kinda works. Remember to use the Netgear as switch/hub and disable the DHCP on it or you might run into a double NAT issue where the wired and wireless network's device won't see each other. When you have a chance maybe give the Sagem Wifi 2.4ghz another go, maybe do a modem reset and move it to another location to test the range. 

Mine wifi played up the other night. Not able to connect to the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz was only giving me around 15Mbps. Also, in the advance setting under wl0, the 2.4GHz changed to the 5GHz. Did a modem reset. 5GHz is not working but signal dropped nearly halve and the 2.4Ghz is working. Anyway, Had to do about 3 reset and multiple restart and alot of trouble shooting, I contacted fault and a new modem is coming out. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

TSW

Well...i spoke to soon.

The network keeps dropping out with the wired network, not sure why, the SAGEMCOM is directly connected to the Netgear Switch, so not sure if it is a modem problem or the NBN HFC network

The wifi also is having problems, on our mobile devices the network is connected, however it isn't actually transmitting data.  It shows it is connected but wont connect to the internet or internal network.  To fix it you turn on and off the wifi on each device.

So i'm going backt to just the SAGEMCOM and disconnecting the Netgear router to see how it goes.

Has anyone got another router for WIFI connected that works well?  If you could get Brand and Model that woudl be great.

Thanks

SillyGogo

oh no. Sounds like your Sagem modem is jealous of your Netgear Wife. I know you have done it before, but do a full reset by poking the reset button. This turn off the wifi from sagam and use the Netgear as your router, kinda bridging the sagem modem. In theory any router would work with the sagam. I have tested with the netgear cable modem, Asus EA87AC router, Google Wifi, If the reset doesn't work, I would buy one of the TP-Link router. Good value and performance. Depends on your budget, maybe this one.http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C3150.html for around $270, or  http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C2600.html for $200, ebay has 20% till 30/8/17.

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

Just realised that there is a WAN port on the Netgear Cable modem. Has any one connected the NBN box to the WAN of the netgear modem and got it going? I think the Voip phone might be an issue. If this method works. then you can get rid of the Sagem and use the Netgear modem for your connections. 

Update: connected the netgear cable modem's WAN port to the NBN box, changed the connection from "always use cable to always use WAN"..waaa la connected to the NBN. But the phone line doesn't work. Maybe techinical support can help to remap the VOIP port to the cable modem's MAC address. Prehaps one of the moderator can advise on this topic Smiley Very Happy 

leee

@SillyGogo 

I am a newbie to NBN( what a mistake to get sucked into it!) switched from cable about 6 weeks ago. I am on the 50 Mbps plan and the best I could get is 38.   I know the post is almost a couple years old but I have the same problem as TWS. There have been streaming issues even for normal Optus programmes not just movies especially on Sunday nights.  Optus has been helpful but have not completely fixed the underlying issues of speed and internet coverage.  The modem is the Sagemcom F@st 3864v3 AC.  I have a few queries of the solutions you posted. 1. The 5 GHz for my WiFi is slower than the 2.4 GHz as shown by the number of bars, is there something I can change that.  I am assuming the 5 GHz is the better one. 2. How do you connect the old Netgear modem to the Sagemcom. 3. How do you deactivate the DHCP and change channels.  Thanks in advance. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos