cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor vortex6900
Occasional Contributor

Sagacom F@st 3864 Black modem/router

I have had nothing but issues with the WiFi side of this modem when to many devices connect bang WiFi dies and we have to power cycle the modem

I have been on the phone with Optus tech support who have had me on hold for 30 mins after telling me it's a dodgy modem they sent me a new modem.

same problem sighhhh

I rang again they gave me option to call me back so when tech called me told me again it's the NBN connection

I said if it was the NBN connection why is the ethernet working fine he put me on hold told me to reset the NBN connection box and said I'm sending you another modem

I pleaded with him it's going to do same thing he keeps saying I'm sending a modem cause he didn't know what to do.

I have used both bands 5ghz and 2.4ghz it's mainly the 2.4ghz band which is the problem I have also found out there is a limit on wifi connections on the modem

16x connection per band 

which is wrong no one told me this when I signed up for Optus NBN

2 weeks past no modem yet 

Second Time I posted this could'nt access the post 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Sagacom F@st 3864 Black modem/router

If its not the modem and its not the NBN what do you think the issue is? 

FWIW connecting 32 devices simultaeously is quite a load for a residential $100 modem. If you have heavy usage then you're probably better of investing in a higher quality unit with many more features, speed and robustness.

I agree that if you've tried multiple modems and the issue is the same then you've either hit the hardware limit of the device or the problem lies elsewhere. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS I recommended some better routers just recently here

Occasional Contributor

I totally agree with you Peter

My biggest issues is that when I was with my previous provider I didn't have these issues with the modem they supplied

Also now that I'm on a hybrid hfc NBN connection I am limited to the modem I can get as my phone plugs directly into the modem 

Most modems on the market don't have these phone line jacks and require me to purchase a modem that will run as a bridge of the existing modem and more power consumption for my household

The only response I get from tech support is we send you another modem

I did ask if I was able to somehow find a compadable  modem would they reimburse me for there hardware not being up to standard I was told no....

And Optus does not give setting out for a third-party modem to use on there network

I really believe I have been wronged to be honest I don't feel like a valued customer.

Should I go to a higher power ???

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If by 'higher power' you mean God, then fire away. Smiley Happy

If you mean 'official complaint' or 'TIO ombudsman' then its up to you if its worth the effort. FWIW Optus hasn't mislead you, which is where most consumer law kicks in. What they advertise, they've provided (Internet with a wifi modem). Do you have the option of leaving? 

Out of interest if you unplug all your wifi stuff and just run 1 or 2 wifi connections does the modem work fine? I'm guess possibly yes? You do sound like you're just running up against the processing power of the device.

I don't think you need any third party settings FWIW. You should have a NBN cable modem with a single cat6 cable out? You can plug that cable into the WAN port of just about any router and you're set. Configure the new router to your main internal IP address (192.168.0.1?) and set it to connect to the internet over the WAN port. Then just set up its wifi as usual. 

The ASUS units above can do that easily and I've set them to MESH mode to just create a single SID contact point.

I agree Optus CS can often leave you frustrated. Optus appear to give their CS people little ownership of problems and have tried to reduce support to simple cheat sheets whereever possible. The result is people trying to be helpful but with varying degrees of ability.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I have not tried getting out of contract as yet as I really wanted to give Optus a go and get this sorted

I was thinking the TIO but I would prefer to avoid this if possible

My connection is a hybrid fibre connection which is hfc

The NBN started rolling this out recently it's using the existing old pay TV coax cable connection to a NBN modem then from there to a Optus supplied router which the phone line plugs directly into the Optus supplied router

This is compared to the other fibre connections that the NBN offer which are a box is screwed to the wall and your phone plugs directly into that box I think it's called a uni v 1 port

So I am limited to the router that I can use it must have a phone line Jack and you must have the phone line settings that only Optus can supply to allow the connection to work

https://goo.gl/images/uwQxd9

Cheers Chris

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'm not sure what the TIO would actually do though? Generally they look to see contracts are being complied with and from what I can see they are. Possibly they could get Optus to give you a small refund in good faith ($50?) but you won't get any modem settings etc. that are otherwise unreleased.

I could be wrong but (although its a little messy) there's nothing stopping you adding another wifi router to the mix. In your image instead of a PC getting plugged in just plug in the new router (into the WAN port probably but otherwise just one of its 4 LAN ports) then plug the PC into the new router. You can then configure the new router to handle the wifi. The old wifi router is only there for the phone jack (turn off its wifi).

Does that make sense?

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter

Sure does I was just trying to to avoid having an extra device drawing power and to say another item to try and hide with all the other modems ,routers and switches 

I will have to do a bit more digging and try and find a suitable replacement with VoIP so far I have found a few but with far less wifi speed I think AC 1600 was what I found so far 

I do appreciate your time and help offered and I believe U have tried a lot harder then the customer service

Cheers Peter

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

No probs,

I think I have about 8 (retired) routers in my attic. The seperate router approach would allow you to leave the VOIP to the old modem and know yourself out with the new one. Staying with ASUS you can go the RT-AC86U for AC2900 Smiley Surprised

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos