Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SMTP problems

As I said I agree with you however I gave up using isp mail servers given they are blocked so often. I was refering to your own domains / mail servers opening up a port.

0 Kudos
dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah i know.  I don't have my own domain (well, I do, but I'm not even using it at the moment cos i'm too lazy to finish designing the website (hand coded HTML 5 W3C compliant cos I'm a fuss pot perfectionist lol).  

Brother in law is home, wil let him have a shower and smoko and then call Optus and get the run around from lvl 1 techs who know jack squat diddly bugger all lol...not being an elitist here, but it's frustrating dealing with lvl 1 techs...

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I thought you were referring to sending mail from ecn.net.au. Yep entry level tech can be painful especially if the question is outside the norm. Good luck. Smiley Happy

Edit: I just had an after thought 

dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

From my experience, it's unlikely that they are using spam filtering on their outgoing mail.  It's typically used on mailboxes (i.e. incoming mail).  

I rang Optus support and spoke with a tech, but as expected, she did not really understand how mail works.  The call got cut off, but she did ring back on our home number, but I asked her to ring me on my mobile, which she said she would.  That was an hour ago, and still no call 😕  

I guess I'll have to ring Optus again after dinner and start from scratch *sigh*...

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I suspect its the same team that would handle all those sorts of complaints. Anyhow hope you get your call returned. Cheers Smiley Happy

dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

I'll just add that I've already checked the mail settings via the link you sent me for both of my devices, and they are correct (as expected).  

One of the last batch of test Emails that I sent last nigh has come through just now (took nearly 24 hours).  That could either be caused by:

1) a problem with your SMTP' mail server's queue

2) a problem with yahoo's POP mail server queue (I doubt it, since Emails from other non Optus sources are coming through to my Yahoo inbox immediately)

3) or a routing issue (network) between the Optus SMTP server and Yahoo's POP mail server.  

So, to test a bit further (logic testing), I have just:

1) from my iPad, resent one of the missing Emails, and also including a CC to my @ecn.net.au Email address.  Has not arrived at my Yahoo account, instantly arrived in the inbox for my @ecn.net.au account.  

2) just forwarded on the missing Email from step 1) above from my @ecn.net.au account to my Yahoo account and it arrived instantly.  

This tells me that Optus is sending OK to ECN, ECN is sending OK to Yahoo, but Optus is NOT sending at all to Yahoo (or possibly now has a massive delay).  This also sanity tests the Yahoo account is NOT blocking the content based on rules in some SPAM filter.  This also proves that there's no issues with the Yahoo mail POP mail server queue.  

I also did some further sanity (logic) testing.  I resent One of the Emails from my iPad to my Yahoo account and CC'd in my gmail account.  Took around 2 minutes to arrive at my gmail account (to be fair, I haven't logged into it in like a year, so it was prolly busy synchronising stuff) but has NOT arrived at my Yahoo account.  

The only thing that is having a problem is Optus sending mails to my Yahoo account.  

As I said, my SMTP settings are fine.  If they were wrong, then NONE of my resent Emails would be arriving at their destinations (either @ecn.net.au address or @gmail.com address).  

The ONLY common denominator here is the Optus SMTP server.  edit: it also suggests, by logic, that the problem is not a SMTP mail queue issue with the Optus mail server (otherwise it would take forever to send Emails to ANY destination address).  This points to either a routing issue of some sort, or possibly some sort of very weird DNS issue (unlikely).  It is critcally important to test this properly by logging onto your SMTP mail server (prolly via SSH) and attempting to telnet to the Yahoo mail server . A traceroute would be another thing that should be done too.  Both should test the network routing and connectivity.  Proper testing would also require Optus to create a Yahoo mail account and test it themselves.  These are simple tests that any competent technician should be able to do.  2nd edit: another idea for testing is to do a DNS lookup for pop.mail.yahoo.com, both against the local server, and a known DNS server (I typically use the 4.2.2.2 root server) and compare the results.  For example:

dig A pop.mail.yahoo.com

dig A @4.2.2.2 pop.mail.yahoo.com

you can use nslookup I guess, but it's crappy, and it's been depracated for 10+ years...

Now, how do I get the attention of a lvl 3 tech @ Optus to investigate this properly?

PS another user here yeldarb can't send mail to his Yahoo account via the Optus SMTP server.  I bet my bottom dollar that there's more people with the problem than just us 2.

Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well if you include me that makes 3. I would not send you to the generic email setup page as it's obvious to me that you know what you are doing. Unfortunately until you get through to the right department generic and scripted answers is all you will get.

Persistence is the only thing that works with support. If the first person doesn't understand what you are talking about then ask them to put you through to somebody that does.

dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

The generic Email page is not a bad suggestion.  Even pros make mistakes sometimes!  I just didn't do enough logic testing on the night that I started this thread (to be fair to me, it was very late and I was tired!).  If I had the SMTP settings wrong, then when I sent an email + CC, neither would have went through to their destination.  It was clear from my first post that this was not happening, and that the CC messages were going through.  Ergo, SMTP serttings were indeed correct.  

I know, I know.  It's just frustrating to deal with level 1 techs who simply don't know what they're doing and having to play leap frog to get to speak to someone who does know what they're doing.  There are techs, and then there are techs.  I suck at networking, and I don't try to hide it.  🙂

edit: testing within and outside of my NBN connection is also irrelevant.  Either I have Internet connectvity or I don't.  If I do, Emails will work and be received at their destination.  And this is what happened.  The ONLY thing that could happen is a routing issue, but that is OUTSIDE of my home network and within Optus' infrastructure (i.e. routing issues).

0 Kudos
GuyCS

Hey @dpastern - looks like you've done a fair bit of testing with this one already and I appreciate the amount of detail. Just to confirm - have you been able to send/receive emails via the Optusnet Web Portal?

If so, this would suggest that the issue could be related to your SMTP settings or other application settings. 

Are you able to send me a private message with a screenshot of the SMTP settings you're currently using? I understand you believe this is unrelated, but I just want to double check that before we assess the next steps. 

If the SMTP are in fact correct, this may be above my level of expertise, but we should be able to refer this on to a more technical team.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks GuyCS.  

Some updates. 

I re-checked my iPad settings and noticed that SSL had been turned on, weird.  I checked my iPhone and SSL is off.  Neither iPhone or iPad can send mail to my Yahoo account by the way.  Anyway, I disabled SSL and tested again, no message received at Yahoo mailbox.  45 minutes later...am positive that the account was set up with SSL turned off by the way.  I have no idea how it got turned on.  

Some googling found this page and I then remembered this being an issue in the past (truth be told, I had clear forgotten about this bit of Apple stupidity):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6651077

I checked the advanced settings on my iPad and could not find an option for automatically detect settings.  

With the iPhone, this is happening both on the NBN connection and Optus 4G.  

I'll PM you a screenshot of the iPad's SMTP settings (SSL is now turned off) in a moment or 2.  

Now, I got One of the Emails, sent from my iPhone on SUNDAY in ny Yahoo mailbox within th past hour.  Mail doesn't take 2 hours to deliver!

I have also had a failure notice returned to my @ecn.net.au address in the past few hours (only just checked the mailbox).  

Please note that the Email address and settings are identical for BOTH my iPhone and iPad.  

0 Kudos