Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Occasional Contributor DavidL_
Occasional Contributor

Replacing sagemcom f@st 3864 router / recommendations for replacement

Hi guys, just wondering if I can replace the sagemcom router with an Asus RT-AC368U? mainly because the wifi on this router is abysmal, as you're all aware. If so, will the Asus router provide me with the same NBN speeds? currently on top speed pack of 100/40.

also, if anyone could also suggest any other routers to look at

0 Kudos
4 Replies
New Contributor GeorgeM
New Contributor

Re: Replacing sagemcom f@st 3864 router / recommendations for replacement

I have used a Fritz! 7490  for years (available from PC Case Gear or online) but have yet to work out how to get VOIP telephone working after connecting to FTTN (ie ADSL) last week. Lots of people (including me) hate the lack of services on the Sagemcom but would like all the features we are paying for to work using our own modems. Hope Optus will wake up so I am not forced to change ISP.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

As an alternative to buying a new modem I have bridged the sagemcom modem as per the instructions by GlynR in this link:https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Sagemcom-Gateway-F-ST-3864OP-Bridge-Mode/td-p/1...

I have connected my Netgear modem which has the DNS addresses for the Getflix servers in Sydney and I have added static routes as per Getflix instructions in this link:. https://getflix.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/200686400-Chromecast

This forces Chromecast to use the Getflix DNS and enbles me to watch British TV, both live and catch-up, on my TV.

This will allow you to connect your phone to the Sagecom modem but use your Asus for wifi.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor joneda1
Contributor

See the modem guide at https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/nbn_router_guide

You can replace the SagemCom with another VDSL modem. See this page for settings:

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/fixed-mobile-broadband-ip-addresses-email-tech-settings-...

Look under 

OPTUS HOME BROADBAND TECHNICAL & GENERAL SETTINGS

There are also many posts on Whirlpool about correct settings.

Keeping the SagemCom in circuit and just doing everything smart in another router is a workable solution for most cases. It breaks down if you need some more advanced features like OpenVPN, DDNS, etc. The SagemCom does DDNS but it is a paid service only if I remember correctly.

0 Kudos
New Contributor onehungwell
New Contributor

Reading the forum threads, seems like there is confusion about what a modem is and what a router is. That's probably because a lot of the consumer routers now come with modems built in.

I have Optus cable internet with the Sagemcom router and Netgear CM500 cable modem. I didn't want to use the Sagemcom because I already have a VoIP service with another provider configured in my Billion 7800VDPX.

I simply plugged my Billion into the Netgear CM500 modem using the eWAN interface. Configure the eWAN interface by selecting IP over Ethernet. Give it a description and leave most of the settings as default. I turned off IPV6. 

In the MAC Spoofing field, enter the MAC address of the Sagemcom router. You can get this by first looking at the Device Info of the Sagemcom router. 

Power cycle the Netgear CM500 and the Billion will get an IP address.

If you have NBN, you configure the Billion eWAN interface as PPP over Ethernet. Enter in your username and password from your RSP. Connect the eWAN interface to the NBN supplied modem.

There's no need to put the Sagemcom in bridge mode where you have a modem, Sagemcom acting as another modem, then your router. You can just get rid of the Sagemcom.