cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Rental Property - NBN prefer 4g/5g

Renting a property with ADSL cable connection. Receiving letters must go to NBN, but owners do not want the infrastructure mounted on their house. I appreciate the owners perspective but still need a solution.

CHecked to see if 5G was available but unfortunately it appears not available.

Tired of receiving "you must connect NBN before date XYZ or you will be cut off"

Alternatives????

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Rental Property - NBN prefer 4g/5g

You obviously know what your relationship is like with your landlord but they can't stop you from getting the NBN as that is also how landline services are provided and they are deemed an essential service so you can push it if you really want it.

Otherwise, from an Optus perspective your alternative is Home Wireless Broadband - https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/wireless-broadband 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

A landlord can't reasonably refuse a minor alteration (And things like installing PayTV and Phone lines etc. are considered minor).

Have you confirmed what type of NBN technology your house will get? 

An NBN connection would normally be considered quite valuable to a landlord 

Note removing the connection when you leave will cost around $500 or so, although hopefully by that time the Landlord  would be happy enough to let it stay in place. 

What postcode are you in?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the advice - Post code 2112.
Seems no 5G as yet but apparently 4G will work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the heads up on the removal costs of the NBN.

at least with I can take it with me should I move.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus no, but Telstra has blobs in Gladsville and Ryde that should expand in coming months. Might pay to get a month to month plan if you go 4G.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not sure if you're being tongue in cheek but the removal costs are simply to disconnect the cable from the front of the house to the street. You don't get to keep anything. It should take them all of 10 minutes and IMO its less than poor that NBNCo don't have a simple fixed fee for performing this very standard works.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was cryptically referring to getting a 4G wireless modem and can take that/transfer to next building if needed. Sorry, not been that clear.

$500 to have NBN removed is a deciding factor.

Currently a happy Optus customer and have been for more than 20 years. I want to also want to maintain my Optus email accounts.

I have a Telstra 4G mobile and the service drops regularly so that isnt an option. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its pot luck where 5G pops up at the moment. No dishonour in jumping to Telstra if they happen to get to your area first at the moment (They're all month to month contracts to) Optus seem to be circling your area and hopefully heading inwards. Telstra are in your area and presumably expanding outwards.

But I get the loyalty (even if it is a little enforced with the email address trap - you really should start migrating that one day)

See what Optus 4G has to offer I suppose - you should be able to upgrade it to 5G at no cost when it arrives.

Peter Gilllespie
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

appreciate the unbiased advice!

4G I think for now -.

Thanks again