Searching...

Relocation issues: Optus is unable to provide NBN to my address (new development)

ARS

I have been told many different things from different service consultants. The final conversation - Optus is unable to provide NBN to my apartment. Not to mention, Optus did not disconnect the NBN in my old apartment, despite being confirmed and double confirmed.

This is what bugs me. Optus is able to provide to other units on the same floor but just not my unit. This is a brand new development and it is not even a big development (40 units). How would my apartment be any different in terms of the network connection?

If Telstra, iiNet and TPG has my address, why not Optus?

Can you someone please help before I sign up with other providers?

Thanks!

Re: Relocation issues: Optus is unable to provide NBN to my address (new development)

petergdownload

Have you tried the NBNCo address checker

When dealing with the NBn things get a little vague often. Its possible your apartment is not wired for NBN yet. All your other apartments may be on older copper ADSL2+ contracts with various suppliers. 

In some cases ISPs are not providing new ADSL2+ hookups where the NBN is due to connect themselves (it leaves such housholds in an internet limbo.) 

What does the address checker say? I would recommend contacting NBNCo direct and asking what is the status with your apartment. If the NBNCo has been fully supplied to your apartment then there's no reason Optus or any other ISP couldn't provide a service (via NBNCo) to your apartment.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Re: Relocation issues: Optus is unable to provide NBN to my address (new development)

ARS

thanks Peter.

NBN website said "Great news! You can now order a plan over the nbn network." Optus is even listed as one of the providers.

I don't get it. I would assume the apartments on the same floor would be connected on the same type of line. Are you saying that different units may connect to different switchboards (not sure if I used the correct term).

The whole thing just doesn't make sense. This is brand new development. Do I need to "register" my terminal adaptor with Optus?

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Sorry to confuse you. If the NBN website says yes then basically any ISP can use the NBN to connect to your apartment. (So its great news!). NBNCo would have taken over the entire building at once, not just bits.

Have another go with Optus live chat or the phone. Get them to check your address again. If they still can't find it tell tehm its on the NBN website. They should be able to check and start looking into where it has gone (just need someone a bit more proactive.

You've typed your address into Telstra's address checker and its ok? Check that Tesltra says its providing via NBN and not just hooking you up to its old network.

But by everything you've said, they'll just need to find the address (i.e. you've got nothing else you need to do). Ask for an optus superviser to get it sorted if the cust rep you get can't do anything.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

ARS

I finally managed to speak to someone who seemed to know what he was talking about.

Like you mentioned previously about "a proactive customer rep", he was able to find the "location id" using some other tool provided NBN. However, he needs to cancel existing jobs in the system first. Fingers crossed.

Seriously, I had 4-5 customer reps telling me fictatious stuff. One of them said they booked ADSL and the technician was unable to connect ADSL because my apartment building was not connected ot the exchange. Another said the technician was unable to connect ADSL because Optus' ports were full and she asked me to contact Telstra.

One of them actually confirmed that the NBN would be connected today. Yet, another two customer reps from yesterday and today told me that my address was not serviceable.

Let's see when the NBN would be connected. It is 2+ weeks now since I put in the relocation request.

petergdownload

Sounds hopeful. OPtus do seem to have a problem with helpful cust rep people that for whatever reason tend to wing it even if they don't really know the answer. Seems they'd prefer you to hang up happy but ring back (someone else) angry.

Hope they find you.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

ARS

Just a quick update. The customer respresentitive actually said the address which I provided from the online relocation form was correct.

Seriously, Optus/Moderator.. Whoever is in the relocation team needs to know when to use this manual "tool" (provided by NBN). Obviously, the online relocation form is linked to another outdated database of NBN-ready homes. You should really implement a process for the team to use the manual "tool" if the address doesn't show up instead of giving the crappiest advice to your customer. Your automation process for relocation obviously failed. You really need to look into your relocation processes mapping. In most cases, why on Earth would the customer asked to relocate NBN if he/she doesn't have NBN in the new home??! I doubt anyone is so oblivious.

Whoever is reading this - If Optus could not find your address but you know your home is NBN-ready, ask the customer rep to use this manual tool to obtain the location ID of your home. New apartment developments like mine have proven to be problematic due to re-zoning etc etc.

E.g. My address is actually 10-50 Example Street. The official address becomes 10 but NBN website showed the availability at 50. If you use 10, Optus will go around in circles/lying to you about serviceability. I'm not sure what crappy database that the customer reps use. The manual tool, however, will show the correct location ID for 10.

I hope this will help anyone who is in a similar situation like mine.

ARS

OMG. When did Optus become so crap?!!

Does anyone know if there is a local support number which I can call?

The overseas call center is nonsense. Going through scripted answers or trying to wing it is not going to cut it.

I'm so sick of this. I can forsee that if my nbn is ever connected one day, the next would be billing issues.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
40 Kudos
32 Kudos
25 Kudos
23 Kudos