Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
VS9
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Regular NBN dropouts

I am facing regular network dropouts now .. over the WiFi and the ethernet connections. I am on NBN and have take the 100Mbps boost. Streaming issue on the Fetch TV, no internet over WiFi and ethernet ... the internet drops out. Its frustrating .. the Optus team replaced my old Sagemcom modem with the latest (as they said) Sagemcom Fast 3864AC v3 unit a few weeks ago. The old modem had issue with WiFi range as well as dropouts. Changing the modem has not helped in any way. Same old issues exist with the new modem. Most times the issue gets temporarily fixed when i restart the modem but sometimes not. 

When I chat with Optus team I get the same response, check the wires, restart the modem and NBN box, etc. etc ... and at the end the chat gets auto disconnected (surprise) ... as it happened twice today 19 March 2019. I wonder if Optus is serious about fixing these issues or just want the customer to move on to something else?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Regular NBN dropouts

If you are chatting and your device is on WiFi, and you reset the connection, surprise, of course, your chat will be disconnected. 

What kind of NBN service is it? 

Given your problem clears when the modem is restarted, I wonder what your internal setup is like.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
VS9
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I never said I was chatting using the NBN network and the chat ended... haha .. I was on my mobile network. I know my network is unreliable to chat to Optus over it 😊

My NBN service is over the cable network (HFC). I was on cable prior to NBN. Haven’t heard from Optus even after multiple complaints.

0 Kudos
LadyC
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hiya, I struggled with having to reboot the Sagemcom Fast 3864AC router far too often when connected to NBN HFC. After many calls to techs, resets and tests, I decided to mesh our house with an Orbi Netgear - RBK40 which came with a router and satellite.

I made the Orbi router the main router, not an access point, and simply moved the WAN cable from the Sagecom (connected to the NBN) to the Orbi router. loaded the software on my iPhone, set the satellite in a room, synced them up, made a new network SSID (and guest) and hey presto, it just worked! It hasn't skipped a beat and delivers super strong wifi everywhere! I didn't need a phone so just ditched the Sagecom modem. In my opinion, it's substandard very hard to pinpoint/resolve issues & wastes a ton of time.

VS9
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply and nice work .. I have been suspecting the Sagemcom modem must be the culprit since NBN technicians came twice and said there was nothing wrong with the network.

Did you need to configure the netgear router or was it as straight as connecting the WAN cable from NBN box and good to go? I am now seriously consodering doing what you have done.

0 Kudos