Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Registering new 3rd-party VOIP service over (HFC) NBN

Rick2225

Folk,

I have been using VOIP (Engin) over Optus HFC broadband for about 10 years, but since migrating to Optus HFC NBN (provisioned via Foxtel cable!) I have decided to change provider to MyNetFone. The new ATA router arrived today, yet despite spending over 3 hours on the phone with BOTH MyNetFone and Optus NBN support, I am unable to activate the service via our NBN connection. MyNetFone's advice was to contact a neighbour etc. and try connecting the device to another broadband service to see if it will register, but I have yet to attempt that.

I even tried bypassing the Optus gateway and connecting the ATA/Router directly to the NBN modem (NTD) where it happily connected to the internet but still refused to register itself, so it appears that something in the NTD is blocking the ATA handshake/authentication. Optus technical support were obstinate in their REFUSAL to assist with resolving the issue, taking the 'not our problem' stance :-(

Online research which I have done today suggests that something needs 'tweaking' in the NTD (Arris CM8200). Suggestions, anyone? The ATA itself is a standard Cisco SPA122, pre-configured & tested by the VOIP provider.

Rick2225

PS: The Engin VOIP service is still working fine, and switched seamlessly from Optus HFC to Optus NBN HFC...

Re: Registering new 3rd-party VOIP service over (HFC) NBN

Rick2225

UPDATE: Have tested the ATA at a neighbour's house (Foxtel cable broadband) without success. Again, it establishes an internet connection but won't register the VOIP service. I have also tried opening trigger ports 5060~61 (UDP) and ports 16384~16492 (UDP) in the Sagemcom gateway but no change - the ATA still won't register. My SUSPICION is that these ports need to be opened specifically by the NBN host (Optus) but I have little hope of opening THAT discussion when their LIVE CHAT LINKS DON'T WORK and Optus Tech Support won't dicuss third-party services.

Now waiting for a replacement ATA from MyNetFone, however I'm fairly sure that this won't solve anything. What's missing from this picture? TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE from Optus. It seems that being a customer for 13 years and paying a significant monthly contribution for broadband & mobiles (and, until recently, Optus Cable TV) counts for little...

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

I am able to connect to Siptalk via Optus NBN HFC using Cisco ATA.. MFN is known to not play well with many ISP. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Solution

Rick2225

UPDATE 29Jan2018: Replacement ATA arrived via Startrack today. Initial negotiation/handshake was quite slow (3 or 4 minutes) but it is now working as expected. Had to call MNF helpdesk to get DID No. assigned to replacement box, but all now sorted thankfully!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
102 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos