cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Register Interest for Gigabit Service?

"Technical support are the one area in Optus you can trust."

Not sure why you'd come to that conclusion? Basically the NBN is responsible for maintaining its database of household connections around Australia. All anyone from an RSP (Technical or Sales) can do is punch your address into that database and see what is listed. This is why most websites now ask you your address before listing plans available.

Some sites changes the list depending on what is given (so if you can't get 250 or 1Gbps then those plans are not listed). Other just list generically all plans and presumably hope that later on when your told you can only get 100Mbps then you'll stay anyway (after all you can't get faster anywhere else)

Its unclear what you've done outside of asking Optus for info. What postcode are you in? Have you asked ABB directly if you can get 250Mbps? Over 80% of the HFC homes can get 250Mbps. The rest will have it available in the next couple of months.
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

My postcode is 3020

๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok, so as per ABB
https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-plans/
and Launtel
https://residential.launtel.net.au/signup/residential/?

If you punch in your address then you'll find you can get 250/25. I'm actually just a few suburbs over in Brunswick and those sites report I can get 1000/50 now (cool).

Whether the RSP offers you those speeds and at what price is up to the RSP but your NBN connection is quite capable of it.

Superloop are offering 250/25 for $99

https://www.superloop.com/consumer/home-broadband/nbn.html

Optus will provide it for $150 (but only if the sales rep is willing to admit that they are an RSP and do sell NBN 250 plans)

0 Kudos
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I re-confirmed with Aussie Broadband that I can get the 250/40 option... which they described as 1000/50 (Gigabit) but the price is $149 (same as Optus).

Not sure why Optus is claiming the faster speeds aren't available if other companies are willing to offer it to us? Does someone from Optus want to get back to me about this?

๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Mike_S
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey team

Good news for anyone on HFC, the two faster plans are now available - below stolen from an internal email ๐Ÿ˜‰

"We are now pleased to announce that from the 15th March 2021 eligible nbn HFC addresses can now choose the higher Speed Tiers. This allows Optus to continue to give customers choice and control over their home internet plans. Eligible nbn HFC addresses can now choose:

NBN Home Superfast tier at $55 per month or
NBN Home Ultrafast tier at $75 per month"

Tuong_YC

Hey @Mike_S, thanks for sharing. That's correct! These NBN Offers have been available from a week ago and is applicable for new and existing customers.

In saying that though, not all addresses are serviceably. To check for eligibility, I would recommend getting in contact with our dedicated NBN teams whom would be more than happy to advise further and walk you through this process. The teams are available over the phone at 1300 652 080

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Iโ€™m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That is good news. Just to clarify I assume those prices are in addition to the base Optus 100/20 offering? Too good to be standalone pricing.
0 Kudos
Mike_S
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That's the price on top of the base $75 charge for "NBN Everyday". i.e. $150 per month for Home Ultrafast 1000/50 on a month to month contract

Jack_YC

That's correct @petergdownload, that's the cost of the additional speed pack add-ons. The NBN Home Superfast pack is $55 per month and the NBN Home Ultrafast speed pack is $75 per month. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Iโ€™m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Went to sales who refused to upgrade the line because I'm not the account holder and they don't have access to details of who else has permission to act on the account. Wanted me to come in in person. Had to twist arms to get them to transfer me to someone who could check authorisations.

Finally found someone who could verify that I was authorised to act on the account. They transferred me to Technical who were meant to check the line was capable of 250/40... but said they didn't do that kind of stuff. Technical eventually conceded my line was capable of 250/40. They were meant to transfer me back to the guys who would order the upgrade?

I ended up in limbo sitting on a line that was not even playing muzak for about 10 minutes before giving up and hanging up. That whole process took over an hour.

I'm still waiting for a call-back.

I tried the Chatbot who promised to connect a live person... but when I went back the live person had reverted back to the chat bot. Now I'm playing tag with the live support via the chat bot.

Optus is usually fairly good... but this wasn't one of its finer days?

If the faster plans only went live officially on the 15/3 perhaps that's at least partially to blame for the vague responses?

What's the best way to get a Gigabit upgrade out of Optus?

๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos