Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Krotiuz
New Contributor
New Contributor

Register Interest for Gigabit Service?

Is anyone aware of an avenue to register interest in being connected with a Gigabit NBN service? I'm under the belief that the NBN is capable of reaching these speeds for Fibre to the Premise connections, but ISP's aren't offering this due to perceived lack of interest and not worth the cost to ISPs.  

Due to this, if there was a way to let Optus know that I am interested in a Gigabit connection (When I connected, 100Mb speeds weren't advertised and I had to ask to be upgraded), or to be notified when it is available? 

0 Kudos
79 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Register Interest for Gigabit Service?

No doubt Gbit plans will come but given the difficulties all RSPs are facing providing semi reliable 100Mbps services its probably not something we'll see for a few years yet.

You can read this article about Wollongong (which is the only Gigabit enabled place in Oz as far as I know). Even so its being provided at a huge loss to the company in question right now.

To answer your question though, I don't think any RSP (or even the NBN) is providing any means to express interest in Gb plans. You can be sure though that the first RSP to offer the nation (not just Woolongong) a GB plan will be making a lot of noise about it!

Note some RSPs do offer 250Mbps plans for FTTP already. A 2Tb plan with no phone would cost around $280 a month. However $200 more than a comparable Optus plan is a stiff premium to pay for that extra 'speed' that most of the internet will slow you down from anyway at the moment.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

sinjin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The solution listed here (which was probably right in 2017) should be removed / updated now to cover the current IT press articles on the new services that are available namely:

1)"Home superfast" 250/25; and

2) "Home ultrafast" 1000/50 Mbps .

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its a shame the NBN has actually cut the proportion of upload speed. For most people a 250/100 plan would be massively more desirable than a 1000/50 one (esp. as the 1000 is intended only off peak and could usually be reduced to 100 during usual peak hours).

You can sign up with some RSPs as now (60 minute wait and you're good). Optus hasn't mentioned the new plans so I guess we will wait for now.

Cost is $129 for 250/25 and $149 for 1000/50 which is not unreasonable IMO but personally I can't see a reason to pay $60 more from my 100/40 plan. 250/100? I would definitely be interested.

One final note is that only a limited number of households can get these new plans. They are 100% of FTTP households (who new that fibre would be so good?) and just 7% of HFC households (that should slowly expand). Everyone else consider yourself lucky if you can get 90Mbps.
0 Kudos
sinjin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Prices should come into effect now (May 2020)- not sure of the final prices are listed here, but the indicative prices can be found ->> https://www.zdnet.com/article/nbn-pricing-paper-proposes-new-10020-25025-and-100050mbps-tiers/

1)

so if you and I have 100/40 to go to 250/25 (wholesale) is an extra $3 (plus markup) (ie $68-65)

whilst I don't want to loose the 40 uplink either, to go to 250/100 is considerable more ($100-65)

2)

Re "60 minute wait and you're good"

I would imagine there is a wait for the modem! Expect they will issue a DOCSIS 3.1 model, if it to match the models they were using in the 2017 and then the July 2019 speed trials in Melbourne. 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yep 250/100 is $209. Would be sublime but can't justify it. Irritating to see NZ households getting 1000/400 plans for around $70 a month. And they can pay off their install over the coming decades as has very little maintenance costs and can easily be upgraded anytime.

Hadn't considered the DOCSIS 3.1 modem requirement. I believe a few RSPs have been issuing capable modems for a while now so possibly they are inn place. But only about 1 in 20 customers will be getting the Superfast speeds via HFC. The reset will be over FTTP and upgraded with the flick of a switch (who new fibre could be so good??)
0 Kudos
Mike_S
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

With Aussie Broadband and Superloop offering 1000/50 for $149 a month without contract, and Launtel as low as $139 per month, I'm sure Optus will release a gigabit plan for less than $170-180 in the near future
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I'm definitely interested in a Gigabit plan. How do you express interest in Optus Gigabit internet?

BTW: Companies like DGtek are now laying down optical fibre all over Melbourne. Maybe Optus ought to do a deal with DGtek?

Optus no longer has its own hardware... so there's no reason for not doing a deal with someone other than the NBN?

https://www.itwire.com/telecoms-and-nbn/dgtek-plans-national-fttp-expansion.html

Perhaps users will get some decent pricing if the NBN has some competition?

🙂

P.S. Optus got its start as an alternative to the incumbent Telstra monopoly (similar to what DGtek is now attempting). 

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"How do you express interest in Gigabit internet?"

This thread is probably it I'm afraid.

FWIW the NBN doesn't really have landline competition. All fibre networks generally have to sell bandwidth to all others for the same price (as NBN has to to them). This was basically necessary as a national roll out really wouldn't be viable if companies could cherry pick high density areas to 'compete' in.

But it does look like 5G is going to provide a very good alternative to NBN so hopefully that will see a break on pricing (which is actually only so high because the government requires the NBN be a profitable enterprise on day one.)
0 Kudos
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Register Interest for Optus Gigabit Service?

NBN has a few competitors... other than 5G networks: Companies such as DGtek are starting to spring up and lay down their own cable. 

When Optus first entered the market competing against Telstra it installed cable only in Metro areas and used the power lines to reduce the cost of installation.

DGtek is using optical fibre and putting the fibre underground without using the NBN pits.

https://medium.com/@dgtek/test-drive-melbournes-ultra-fast-fibre-internet-for-free-ea456536387d

Given that Optus is now busy shutting down its own network why doesn't it team up with DGtek to improve service and pricing?

Wonder how long it will be before Optus finally announces a gigabit service?

Anyone with a HFC connection is theoretically able to get Gigabit internet once NBN upgrade the switches to higher speeds (they are busy doing this).

🙂

0 Kudos