cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Michael3005
New Contributor
New Contributor

Receiving threats from Debt Collectors over debt that does not exist.

I have been receiving multiple threats from a debt collection company by the name of Commercial Credit Control for an unpaid Optus bill that does not exist. My account has always been paid in full.

My only assumption is that this is an administrative error on Optus' part from when they stuffed up our number porting for our NBN service which in and of itself was a huge headache. Now my credit score is being threatened due to this incompetence.

My next step is a complaint to the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Receiving threats from Debt Collectors over debt that does not exist.

Have you been provided ANY documentation from "Commercial Credit Control"?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

On the surface CCC appears to be an Optus collector. As @GTFO says they must provide very specific information as to how the debt has been arrived at. Until they do (in writing) ALL efforts to recover the "debt" must cease.

At this stage I would 

1) Start keeping meticulous records. If they contact you document when, what was said and what was agreed.

2) Request they send you all information and demands in writing.

3) Ask if they are acting on behalf of Optus or if they have purchased the debt and are seeking to recover the  costs for themselves.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Michael3005
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Peter, they have sent the letter to my address yet appear to only have my first name.

This letter contains a customer reference number, file number and account balance. It requests payment to Optus directly.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

First Name? Maybe they just wanted to appear friendly Smiley Indifferent

I'd be contacting Optus first to see what they can tell you about that account.

As you say, things like account transfers can go wrong and suddenly you're being asked to pay a "debt" from something that should have been shut down ages ago.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Michael3005 - thanks for reaching out!
Can you please send through a private message with the account number listed on the invoice from Commercial Credit Control, along with your full name, DOB and any other Optus accounts you currently have? We'll have a quick look.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Just a heads up @Michael3005, I've replied back to your private message.

We'll chat with you there. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos