cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Received F@ST 5366 TN modem without function description!

F@ST 5366 TN connected but does not work either.

DSL line is connected to pins 3+4 on the 6way RJ plug but due to no documentation I cannot check if that is correct.

In general communication with Optus is time wasting. There is a saying that a picture says a thousand words. 

1. The technical chat does not allow to send files.

2. The technical chat history is lost as soon as the chat is closed. All information given is lost unless you make screenshots.

3. There exists no email address to contact anyone at Optus to send data, files or pictures. All emails received are no reply.

If NBN  does not work today I cancel the contract and fall back to ADSL with my last ISP.

I am sick of typing.

I am sick of trying to understand Indian english too.

No offence intended.

Have all a better day 😉

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

In Australia, DSL is always connected on the central Pins 3 and 4 of an RJ12 socket (6 pins). The same applies to the telephone port. RJ45 sockets (8 pins) are used for voice or data and also use their respective central Pins 4 and 5 for Voice. Fritz!Box is unusual in that they use a RJ45 for DSL as well - not a practice adopted in Australia to my knowledge. Assume their special RJ45/RJ12 Y cable does the conversion to Australian wall socket standards.

By the way, the Fritz!Box 7XXX modems are very impressive beasts - the Swiss Army Knife version of Modems ( albeit from Germany) - it does a whole lot of features with a well documented User Manual. I think I read in the past that they have near to 60-70% of the German market. I can understand why you would be keen to retain in operation. All the best. 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Has changeover from ADSL to NBN actually been confirmed? Sounds a bit like you're still not connected to NBN.

If your wall sockets are non-standard (i.e. Telstra) sounds like you may have non-standard wiring which would explain your issue.

Has NBN been called to investigate your problem?

If you are able to switch back to ADSL, you are definitely not connected to NBN.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks heaps

At least now I can be sure that the line is connected correctly to the modem, which still does not work.

I think I qualify already for a Floptus membership; -)

Compared to my Fritzbox the F@ST 5366 TN is really basic.

Lodged a complaint to escalate things.

Maybe the wires are just too bad for NBN. ADSL might deal better with crappy copper lines.

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Have yo had confirmation that the change from ADSL to NBN has been completed? Has an NBN Tech come out to connect the NBN service @ the Node?

Also as a guide see below link:
https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/Guides/nbn-fttn-everything-you-need-to-know

Also, as an OPTUS customer, I know first hand how crap the OPTUS supplied modem is. They overheat and drop the network, especially when the WiFi is enabled. You will need to use the FritzBox for the WiFi and have the OPTUS modem's WiFi disabled. This is what I have done and it has helped from having to reset the OPTUS modem 3 times per day to maybe 3 times per week. Still not satisfactory.
You can connect the OPTUS modem, then log into it and take out all the relevant settings and copy them to your FritzBox and connect it to the NBN if it is compatible.
Just my 2 cents. 🙂
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I found this it may help you as I have a Fritzbox 7590. It has been working well up till a week ago.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1421

My Fritzbox connects to Optus but web service is up and down. Haven't been able to work out why so am using the Optus modem until I can find a solution. Any suggestions would be helpful.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi - does 'web service is up and down' mean your NBN link is active but you can't connect to some web sites? If so, that may be related to the DNS settings on the Fritz!Box 7590 - are you using the same DNS settings as the Optus modem or something like Google's DNS Servers. I would expect that the Fritz!Box 7590 would need to have settings for IPV4 DNS and IPV6 DNS that point to the same DNS provider to cover all web sites. 

0 Kudos