cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor ChrisH_WG
Occasional Contributor

Received F@ST 5366 TN modem without function description!

I am forced to change over from ADSL to NBN FTTN in 2 days.

Received F@ST 5366 TN modem without function description!

Talked to the chat guys but they got nothing either.

Currently I have my home network setup with my Fritzbox 7390.

I don't need a phone linked to NBN, so I need no phone port on the modem.

I was told that they send required the settings for my modem, but got nothing so far.

Has anyone used a non-Optus modem for NBN FTTN?

Greetings to all

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Received F@ST 5366 TN modem without function description!

Welcome @ChrisH_WG  🙂

If you're not fussed about the home phone service, you should be able to plug your 7390 into one of the 4 LAN ports on the back of the F@ST 5366. 

You can then use your existing modem just as you were prior to the NBN switchover. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks

but thats not a very clever solution

Fritzbox 7390 is a Modem / Router with lots of functions

If I use the Fritzbox, I don't want to use the Optus F@ST 5366 TN

I just need the settings to connect to Optus NBN fttn instead of iPrimus ADSL.

Why should I use the F@ST 5366 TN, when Optus can even not provide a user manual?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

First, plug in the Optus modem and wait until everything is working correctly. Then disconnect it and connect the Fritzbox with its method of connection set to Auto (or DHCP/IPoE). That is all that is needed for FTTN without requirement for Optus VOIP.

Occasional Contributor

Cannot connect optus modem because it has a 6way RJ socket while mine has 8 pins. No 6way cables delivered with the modem box. I typed on the phone for 5h until they gave me the username and now I have to reset the password.Technical chat program is not practical. Cannot send photos or talk and when you drop out all correspondence is lost! Ridiculous
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Just to clarify your first sentence if it helps. The RJ12 6 way sockets for DSL and Telephone ports only use the central two wires and can accomodate an RJ11 cable (telephone handset cable), so if you have a telephone cable, you can link the Optus modem to the FTTN. If your wall outlet is a RJ45 socket, it will also accomodate RJ12 or RJ11 telephone cables. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No wall socket

Need an RJ8 TO RJ6 converter.

Fritzbox connects to DSL but get no internet connection established due to permanent PPPoE non response faults.

Telstra copper line to the node is really bad. 6dB S/N ratio!!!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

FTTN connection is a telephone wall outlet/socket - how are you connecting to the Internet?

From reviewing iiNet User Guide as a reference, the Fritzbox 7390 uses an RJ45 DSL socket with a Y cable that has two telephone plugs - one for the telephone wall socket for data and the other for the phone. Implies internal line filtering rather than standard external ADSL Line Filter/Splitter matchbox size unit.

Fritzbox is ADSL2/ADSL2+/VDSL uses PPPoE , not sure of VDSL2/VDSL2+ . Has your service been converted to FTTN yet and verified as ready for service by Optus? Have you checked that the 7390 also supports VDSL2+ and is compatible to Optus NBN for direct connection? If not, it can still be used linked to a LAN port of the Optus Modem.

Optus NBN uses IPoE - per  @newline  post above which may explain PPPoE faults? 

Which device is giving you the 6 dB S/N ratio?  

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Internode lists the Fritzbox as NBN compatible.

https://www.internode.on.net/support/guides/internet_access/nbn/fttn_and_fttb/avm_fritz!box/

Fritzbox line measurement to the node declared 6dB S/N in both directions.  ADSL got slower over the last year. Some time ago I measured 10dB.

I think Opruz has to ask Telstra to check the 2.5km copper to the node.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Yes, sorry for the mix up - just to correct a few statements I made - it was Internode not iiNet and Fritz!Box 7390 supports VDSL2. Had a read of the user guide for the Y cable connections for DSL, Analog Telephone and ISDN Telephone (N/A here) . The 7390 has no integrated line filter/splitter function which is required for ADSL and for NBN, no external Line Filter/Splitter required. 

Whirlpool web page for NBN Compliant and Registered Modems - may not be up to date, the Fritz!Box 7490 appears in the first section and the 7390 is listed under the Working Older Models section , assume this means it has been successfully connected by some users who had to update their firmware due to synchronisation issues.

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router

The FTTN street node would be closer to your home than 2.5 km - VDSL2 won't work at that distance, that may have been your previous ADSL exchange. Are you actually connected to the FTTN or the ADSL? 

If you enter your street address into this map, you will see your FTTN neighbourhood coverage area and probably be able to locate the local node in your area if you go for a drive or walk near.

http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/

Suggest you get the Optus modem successfully connected to the NBN (IPoE/Auto Dynamic IP or DHCP/No UserID&Password) first; it works on ADSL as well but with PPPoE/UserID & Password. If after you have connected the Optus modem to the NBN and not getting a quality connection and S/N ratio statistics, have Optus do remote tests and if there is a problem with your link, they should refer it to the NBN for fixing (not Telstra). 

Once all is good and stable, then do as newline has suggested - you will then know if there are any issues with the Fritz!box 7390. 

Top Contributors