cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Question to Optus - Is your three month cable shutdown still in effect?

Hi, 

NBNCo has just changed its rollout process. Until now NBNCo would announce an area as "LIVE" and then Optus would give all HFC cable users in that area three months to decide on a new plan before shutting down the Optus Service.

Now NBNCo has announced it will still call an area "LIVE" but with the proviso that 100's of cable users (specifically Optus cable users) will not yet be able to connect to the NBN. Instead they will be connected sometime over the next six months.

Could Optus please clarify that it will not be disconnecting existing users from its cable network that have no where to go?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Question to Optus - Is your three month cable shutdown still in effect?

Following this to. I'd say they wouldn't disconnect though because 1 of the 2 main reasons for the 3 month kick off is to get them to switch to NBN with Optus so if they can't, then Optus would be crazy to force them off.

I haven't found much detailed info on this though, got any handy links? From the NBN side I mean

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I don't know how much it costs Optus to keep the cable service active in a suburb. Presumably significant. Till now Optus have been shutting down the service of a small number of  'recalcitrants'. Now?

Take my suburb of Brunswick. probably 50% of us are Optus cable users. So perhaps it will just come down to $. Optus have not been backward in forcing existing cable customer to choose quickly if they're staying or going. But if there is no actual choice?

Sorry, but no links - that's why I'm asking here. Smiley Happy

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
dottway
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

the nbn government site is suggesting I have until 2019 untill services are disconnected, however, Optus is bullying me with a one month date of disconnection to change over to nbn. The hybrid fibre coaxial only went live last month. Who is getting 3 months. I'd love 3 months. Id actually prefer one year as they are simply asking for more money to bump me to a dearer plan

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@dottway

NBNCo bought the OPtus Cable infrastructure. But part of the deal was Optus are free to discontinue their service whenever they want. This only applies the the HFC network. Yes its heavy handed and yes NBNCo are not happy with Optus doing this but they are allowed to.

The good news is you don't have to stay with Optus. They are discontinuing their service and so you can finish up with no penalty to your contract (although some staff may try to insist otherwise its written plainly in past and current CIPs under Changing Access Method. ) Note that switching to Optus NBN will mean another 12-24 month contract.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
2Old2Slow
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sorry Peter not exactly accurate from my understanding NBNco was indeed supposed buy the Optus HFC network but reneged on the deal stating the cost of remediation required to bring it up to NBN spec...what a load of  BS...so all Optus HFC users who wish to stay with Optus will be moved onto the 'Telstra' HFC infrastructure now forming the NBN HFC network.

My suburb went NBN 'Ready' about 6 weeks ago and my neighbour reports he got a letter from Optus indicating he had till Nov 6 to get off or advise them he wanted to stay...funnily enough i got no such letter and I've been with them since the cable was strung in the street.

I think I will be adivising Optus I am happy to recontract for 24 months (currently on month to month) as long as I get functionally the same speeds as I get now. On speedpack and usually get >80Mbps...I guess the 40Mbps up is a bonus but looks like I will be paying $10 per month more...otherwise I am happy to break the contract via discussion with the TIO...and I'll go elsewhere.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@2Old2Slow

Always happy to be corrected, but I think you'll find you've got your facts muddled in this instance. Both Optus and Telstra cable were purchased in full a long time ago (Both companies needed to be compensated by the government for their existing investments, now defunct). The original plan was always to junk both networks (as everyone was going to get FTTH). The Liberal government changed this to a multi mix approach and NBNCo was ordered to try use the HFC network instead of junking it. NBNCo decided that only the Telstra HFC network could be upgraded as needed cost effectively. So the Optus network is back to being junked and customers will either move across to the Telstra network (where available) or get connected by the new FTTC in two years time.

It is unfortunate that Optus appear to be pushing for 24 month contracts (and short decision timelines) to try lock as many people as possible into their network. This has IMO exacerbated the problem as instead of a stead migration of Optus customers over to the NBN over 12-18 months, we now see entire suburbs suddenly dumped onto the NBN infrastructure with not much thought given on how to handle it. The 24 month contracts will also mean it will be at least that long until Optus can start winding back their unlimited deals that they have problems controlling.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos