Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Problems sending email after moving to Optus NBN

Poppasilverback

I'm having the similar problems as others have reported here.

I have 4 different accounts currently set up in Outlook. Since I moved to the Optus NBN (which I love by the way) 3 weeks ago, 3 of those accounts will not send email. 1 of the accounts still sends email absolutely fine. In the settings of those 4 accounts, the incoming and outgoing SMTP servers are different. And none of them are "mail.optusnet.com.au". When I try to send from one of the 3 accounts that doesn't work the email just stays in the Outbox for that account. If I turn on a mobile hotspot on my mobile phone (Optus, same account), and connect my laptop to that hotspot network, the emails sitting in the Outboxes send fine. No problem at all. So I know that the account settings are all valid and work. If I then reconnect back to the NBN, those 3 accounts cannot send email anymore. The 4th account still sends fine. All 4 accounts receive email fine. From the same laptop, if I take it to another physical location and connect via a different internet connection, all email accounts work perfectly. So I have isolated this problem to sending email from 3 accounts via the NBN.

I'm currently on the phone to Optus support. To be fair, the customer support representative is trying to be helpful, but doesn't have the knowledge to assist. I believe that I have finally got her to the point where she accepts that there is a problem. She is now trying to talk to a higher level tech in network support.

Changing the outgoing mail server to "mail.optusnet.com.au" does not work, because the email addresses I'm trying to send from do not exist on that server. I just get an "enter your password" pop up for the email account, with "mail.optusnet.com.au" in the server field. And of course that email address doesn't have a password on that server. I've never in fact used my optusnet.com.au email address.

Not enjoying this. If I were a simple internet user I'd probably just use my optusnet.com.au email address and be happy. But then if I was a simple internet user I wouldn't have the highest speed unlimited NBN connection and 4 different business email accounts...

Still on the phone, over 40 minutes now.

Right, Sarah is back (50 minutes now). And the information from the network support folks is the same. “It must be the settings from your email host provider”. Even though I can send email from the 3 different accounts (with 3 different email host providers) from any other network connection apart from my Optus NBN network connection.

So unfortunately, Optus does not have anyone that has sufficient technical expertise to assist me.

After an hour on the phone, I still have exactly the same problem that I had when I started. I have managed to set up my optusnet.com.au email account through Outlook, and can send emails from it fine. Just not from the accounts that I need to send email from.

I’ve tried changing the outgoing server in the email settings of a non-optus email account to "smtp.optusnet.com.au" or "mail.optusnet.com.au" email server, with my optusnet.com.au email address in the account field (so using an email address that it knows), but that doesn’t work either.

Note that the outgoing port that the optusnet.com.au email address uses is 25. Which is the same port number that the 3 accounts that don’t work are trying to use. So I don’t think it is the port number, unless they’ve restricted that port to only be used by optusnet.com.au email addresses (which would be silly surely). The one email address that can send mail uses a different port number though, so perhaps that does have something to do with it…

It seems that there are a number of users that have similar problems to me and that Optus is unable to help them either. I will ask a network expert friend of mine and see what he can come up with…

Re: Problems sending email after moving to Optus NBN

Yeldarb

Hmm if none of the email addresses are Optus then you do not use your Optus username and password for anything. All the incoming email information is from your own website and the outgoing mail server is also the same. If Optus are blocking port 25 then you can normally just use their outgoing server without authentication. In other word no password or username for the outgoing server just the mail server such as mail.optusnet.com.au or whatever they are using at the minute.

Poppasilverback

The thing is, why make me change any of the settings for these email accounts? They've been working for years. Now all of a sudden I use a different internet connection and they don't work. They work through every other internet connection, anywhere. Just not through the NBN. That's weird. And it is ridiculous, with all of the problems that have been reported about this type of error, that Optus hasn't worked out why and fixed it.

I don't want to change email account settings that work on any other connection, just so that they'll work via the NBN. Not when there is another account working at the same time. Optus needs to fix this problem - not me. That they even have the hide to suggest that this is a problem with the email host providers is indicative of where the problem lies...

Yeldarb

I don’t know why it worked before maybe port 25 wasn’t blocked. If you try what I have advised above it should work.

Poppasilverback

Hmmm. I can't work out how to change the outgoing mail server in the outlook account settings without putting in a username and password. Outlook will not allow me to do that. So not sure exactly what you are asking me to do. If I could post a screen shot in this forum I would do so. That would be a useful feature wouldn't it? On the account settings panel in Outlook I'm trying to change the "Outgoing mail server (SMTP):" to "mail.optusnet.com.au". Below that field is a username and password field. If I leave those fields blank Outlook will not allow me to click the Next button. Advice?

Solution

Yeldarb

Click on More Settings / Outgoing Server and untick my server requires authentication. Go back to the main settings and change the outgoing server to mail.optusnet.com.au then hit next.

advanced-mail-settings.jpg

Poppasilverback

Of course, silly me. Didn't think of that at all. And of course it works perfectly. Thanks very much for your help, that's brilliant.

Now Optus support - take note! This is a simple and easy fix to this problem. 

Yeldarb

Glad I could help. Smiley Very Happy

GlynR

Hmm,

That's not the right solution as it means that you are sending all of your mail using the Optus account mail server and not from the account that you THINK you're sending it from.

Lets say you have a work email address which you can access from your home Outlook account. If you make the suggest change to make the outgoing mail server ail.optusnet.com.au you may find that email replies may come back t your home account instead of your worek account.

The correct way to do this is to find out what the correct settings are to use the correct mail server.

This usally means TICKING the box to require authentication and then do also enable SSL for both incoming and outgoing emails in the ADVANCED tab. This makes your mail more secure (because it's encrypted) and it also changes the ports from 110 to (usually) 995 and from 25 to (usually) 465.

BCrowley

Has there been a real solution to this problem? Optus staff seem unable to resolve and changing the mail server is NOT a solution. I need all company email to go through a company mail server and need to be able to send over multiple internet connections.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
52 Kudos
29 Kudos
22 Kudos
18 Kudos