cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Possible Scam

This Friday (13 December) I received a call on my mobile from someone claiming to be from Optus NBN reporting that my household modem has been compromised and that possible rogue elements were using my NBN for illegal purposes. The number that came up on my mobile was 02 5487 8159.

I asked for further detail but was 'transferred' to a manager or group engineer. No credit card information was asked for. Nor was there any request for account details. However, I had to cut the conversation short at the time.

Is this a communication from Optus? Are NBN accounts being hacked and used by others? Or is this a scam?

Thank you for your swift response.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Possible Scam

Any account can be hacked however it sounds like a scam to me. If in doubt contact Optus on a number that you know is legit.

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=1371 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Its 100% a scam.

someone claiming to be from Optus NBN

No such company as Optus NBN. Its either Optus or NBN Co.

reporting that my household modem has been compromised

Neither Optus or NBN Co (or any legitimate company for that matter) would ever call you about a compromised system. Once you hear that, you know its 100% a scam.

possible rogue elements were using my NBN for illegal purposes.

If your internet was ever used for illegal purposes by anyone, you would either have police at your door executing a search warrant without any warning, or your will get some formal notification in writing, never a phone call.

The number that came up on my mobile was 02 5487 8159.

Phone numbers are spoofed (i.e. faked) all the time, they can't be relied upon for verification at all.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for replying and confirming my instincts. My concern is that they knew both my mobile number and my home address (though no other detail such as modem number was offered).
Should I be concerned?
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reponse. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No I wouldn't be concerned however it might pay to change your Optus account password as a precaution.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

My concern is that they knew both my mobile number and my home address

Even if they also had your full name as well it wouldn't be a concern as that information either came from the phone book, or you may have given it so some web site that either sold your info or that other website got compromised.

For me, it might only start being a concern if they had account numbers as only you and the company you are dealing with should ever know those.

When ever you receive any phone calls, you should never confirm to the caller any information they give you and you should definitely never give them any new info.

And if you think the call may be legitimate, like say a credit card company calls you to say they have detected unusual activity on your credit card, then you call the company on the official number on their website, and not any number they may give you (unless you can verify the number they gave you against their official web site ).

I had a call a few months ago from the tax department, a call I knew I might get. It sounded legit, and give me info which no one else should have know, and even then I did not discuss details with them. I asked for the callers contact details, they gave me a contact number which was to the tax office switchboard which I could verify online. I called them and it turns out the original call was legit, but it was definitely safer for me to check it out first.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its a scam. Treat phone calls the same way you would if a stranger knocked on your door.

"Hello Sir, Your technological modem has been compromised, something about the NBN, illegal. Can I come in and look around?"

It's obvious in the light of day but scammers work in the moment.

Peter Gillespie
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. That is good advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for that very sensible advice