cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Porting my old landline number from Optus Cable to Optus NBN - Nightmare in Hell

I was happy Optus cable customer for last 20 years.  Got a letter from Optus in August this year that I need to port to NBN.  Decided to go with Optus again.  Ported 2 of my cable services (for 2 houses) on 15 Sep under a month-to_month plan - as I was existing Optus customer I could do that without initial setup fee.  Cool.   It was a very smooth transition, everything was working except that my old landline number (for one house only) was not yet ported - was told that will take a few days.  As days and weeks passed, I did not get my old number. 

Over the last 2 months, I escalated the issue with Optus on 23 occasions (excludes calls where people would simply hang up as it was too difficult for them to deal with the issue) - spent over 20 hours on the phone and during each call, was moved from department to department. Unfortunately, every time I spoke to someone, I had to start from scratch.

Finally, 10 days ago I spoke to someone who was able to identify the issue.  Apparently, during the initial service move, Optus forgot to disconnect the old cable service and my number could not be ported to NBN.  Naturally, I was charged for both services during the period.  Anyhow, I was told that I need to talk to cable cancelling department and request cable service cancellation in order to free the number (and stop being charged for service I did not use since 15 Sep) - which is what I reluctantly did as I could not see the point why I have to run from one department to another to do Optus' work.  Then,  I was told that I need to talk to Optus NBN team to ask them to port my old number to my NBN service.  They advised that would take 24 hours.  OK, waited for 2 months surely, another 24h would not be  big deal.

30 minutes after the call, my main email account I was using for last 20 years stopped working.  Rang Optus and was told they deleted the account and all of my email available online were gone - despite assurances before move to NBN that no such thing would occur.  Don't get me wrong, I have a proper email client where I download emails to my PC, but those sent via webmail (when I do not have PC access) were gone.  After escalating the issue, I begged them to restore me email account and lost emails.  They recreated my email and told me the request for email restoration was organised - short story is I never got my emails back.

24 hours later, I checked my landline number and it still did not work.  Called Optus again and they said wait another 24 hours.  Last Friday (22 Nov), I rang Optus again as nothing has been done.  Asked to talk to customer services department to get refund (a) for services I did not receive on NBN i.e. phone number and (b) for cable services as no such cost should be attributed to me considering that Optus was required to cancels cable service on a day on NBN install.  Got refund on NBN service but was told that somebody else is processing cable refund - still waiting for this to occur.

15 minutes later, I lost Internet access.  Again rang Optus help desk and was told that my NBN service was cancelled.  I started panicking as kids need access for school.  I initially thought that lady who refunded my NBN cost decided to cancel the service on her own but was later told that the porting team had difficulties to port the old number and one of the ways to fix the issue was to recreate the service from scratch i.e. delete the old service profile and create the new one.  OK, I said, can you please restore my Internet access.  They said they could.  And later they rang me to advise it will be the day after (Saturday).  And then, on Saturday, they said it will be Monday (today). 

This morning, went to work and one of my kids rang to say there were some people from Optus who came to install the NBN service.   As my kid was under 18, they left.  Came home this afternoon and found out that Internet is still not working, rang Optus and they asked me if I placed the order for new NBN installation.  I promptly said, the only thing I have ever requested was to port my old landline number to NBN service. I never:

- requested to retaining the old cable service to get double charged

- requested for my email account and all webmail emails to be deleted

- requested for my Internet service to be cancelled

- requested a new NBN service installation 

Finally was told that over the next 24 hours, my Internet service will be restored and 24 hours later, my old landline number will be ported.  Year, right, heard that before.

Do you guys think I am unreasonable in my quest to get my old number?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Porting my old landline number from Optus Cable to Optus NBN - Nightmare in Hell

Definitely sounds reasonable to me, isantic, expecially considering "Optus forgot to disconnect the old cable service and my number could not be ported to NBN."

Thank you for sharing your experience however being a public forum I'm afraid we're unable to assist here as we don't have visibility of customer accounts.

As part of your many escalated requests, do you have any ticket numbers or the like that we can try to follow up for you?  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Porting my old landline number from Optus Cable to Optus NBN - Nightmare in Hell

Oh No !!!!! I have received the letter and confirmed to do my update when ready .....
Now I am worried ...... , I am like you 30 years on the same service and land line .
I also do not like the fact I have to pay more for basically the same service which I have no issues with.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Ray,

Today I had Optus NBN installed and now have lost my old landline number and it has been replaced by a new number. The technician said he didnt know how to fix this and that I needed to message optus for them to port over my old number which was connected with my optus cable account to my new optus NBN account.

Can someone please advise on how I am able to get my old number back?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey Panikos,

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.

If not, please leave Optus a message for further assistance and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos