cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Poor technical support: NBN cable & VOIP (now running worst than before the problem)

The level of knowledge of the Optus support (some lady in the Philippines?) is miserable: I spent over an hour asking Optus not to send out a new Sagecom modem (there's nothing wrong with the old one). So Optus sent one out anyway (now they don't want it back). I have no objection to a higher spec modem... but the replacement is identical to my existing one.

I also asked the Optus support not to send out an NBN support person (the problem isn't at my place)... so they booked one anyway and then failed to cancel them despite my repeated requests (had to call back the next day and cancel it with someone else).

The support lady also insisted that the Arris CM8200 HFC modem wasn't a modem. She then referred to the Asus AC88u router as a modem. So when she said "modem" it was always unclear which device she meant. 

When I asked about port forwarding the lady immediately offered to forward my phone number somewhere else.

It didn't help that the support lady's accent made her hard to understand.

How can Optus can possibly make money if it keeps sending out hardware that people don't want or need? I ended up with 4 different things on order: Sagecom 5366 modem/router/VOIP (the old one works fine), 4G wifi modem (to provide internet in the case of outages), Fetch box (uncertain if this has an issue or not) and NBN technician (don't need one). 

What happened to the Australian support? If you have a more complicated issue why are can't you talk to someone who knows the difference between a modem and a router? Surely addressing a setup issue is cheaper than replacing hardware that isn't faulty or calling out support people that aren't required?

Last time we had a fault Optus have threatened to bill me for the visit if no fault was found. Don't know if that's the case this time? Support tends not to tell you these things?

This whole thing took 3 or 4 hours to try to resolve and my network still isn't back to working the way it was before the outage (I think the IP addresses on the Optus modem might have changed).

Please Optus... can you improve your support?

🙂

P.S. We started having problems as soon as we went VOIP. Never had a problem with the old (POTS) land line.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MRSKNOWITALL
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Poor technical support: NBN cable & VOIP (now running worst than before the problem)

So your having phone issues since you experienced an outage? If so, have you tried to factory reset your modem? That’s totally correct where they shouldn’t be replacing the modem if it’s working fine because tenure does not cause the modem to deteriorate over time but can see why they did so to isolate the issue. Was a fault report raised atleast, for someone to look into the case?
0 Kudos
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Poor technical support: NBN cable & VOIP (now running worst than before the problem)

I'm pretty sure that a factory reset of the modem is what created this whole problem. It was all working prior to the reset... then it wasn't. 

Happy to report that changing the FetchTV set-top box did seem to eliminate the periodic signal drop outs.

I eventually got an Australian support person who did know a fair bit about the hardware:

He boosted the plan to 100/20 for a month to see if it makes a difference.

Happy to report that the streaming issues on the FetchTV have resolved.

🙂

0 Kudos
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

We eventually got everything working again after upgrading the Asus router from an AC88u (dual core) to an AX88u (quad core).

https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/RT-AX88U/

The Asus router (192.168.1.1) was set to forward port 5060 (VOIP) IP 192.168.0.1 (the Optus modem-router-VOIP) combo with UDP on.

The setup is now:

Arris cable modem -> Asus router -> Optus Sagecom 5366 modem-router-VOIP combo

SIP Passthrough was not disabled.

🙂

P.S. There is a second VOIP phone attached to the Asus router via a Linksys box. Both phones seem to be happily co-existing.

0 Kudos
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I wish Optus wouldn't lock old posts.

It's often helpful to go back and edit old posts for clarity.

Technical topics in particular can be quite hard to explain clearly while you're still working out what's wrong:

The discussion can get confusing if posts contain incorrect information or are hard to understand?

🙂

0 Kudos