Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
WazOfWGong
New Contributor
New Contributor

Poor speed well below what was promised

I am on an older Big Bundle package supposed 25Mbps speeds but my Max speed in August was 9.5 and averaged 8.6Mbps.  Any one asked Optus for a discount because the NBN can't deliver in their area?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Poor speed well below what was promised

Are you on FTTN?

All ISPs arew required to provide the speeds advertised on the NBN. Recently most major Telcos started refunding money to customers unable to get the speeds that were promised.

That said, the issues you have may yet be because of local (in home) issues. Are you testing speeds on a wired connection?

You should contact Optus and if on FTTN they should provide you with a max likely speed your line can recieve. You should also request a refund for money spent on the 25 Mbps tier if 12 Mbps is all you can get.

FWIW NBNCo are currently only required to get you 12Mbps but in 2020 this will increase to an absolute minimum of 25Mbps. However it may be likely that at 12Mbps NBNCo can improve your speeds - ask Optus to send out an NBN tech.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
WazOfWGong
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank You Peter,

I reported last night to Optus.  I ahve been using Monitoring device provided by the ACCC and it is connected by a network cable to the router provided by Optus.

Cheers

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Pretty good credentials then. Smiley Happy

The NBN is legislated to provide a minimum of 12Mbps to all homes in Australia. Consumer Law means Optus must provide the speeds it promises (even if its the NBN fault they don't) 

Hopefully Optus/NBN sort it out quick smart now they know there is an issue.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
SteveGee
Contributor
Contributor

Peter my case officer is trying to convince me the solution is mine to solve and wants me to try every low band wifi channel.

he us not budging on releasing me from my contract.

I have to switch channels until its solved

the black modem was barely  a solution. 23 at best.

so we go around and around.

you say 12 guranteed I am oaying for 50.

we get 43+ on wired ethernet 

ever tried to hook up an ipad on ethernet ?.

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos
SteveGee
Contributor
Contributor

How dud you arrange that?

fyi wired ethernet will give u close to agreed speed 

its the wifi thats the issue

my case officer wants me to try to find an uncongested channel somehow.

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Bit of a penny drops there @WazOfWGong.

If you're getting 43 on wired then Optus are providing what they promised and the NBN is working as expected.

The issue is in your house and wifi introduces a lot of points where speeds to the door then drop (or disappear altogether)

Good news is you have a good NBN connection and it should be readily fixable to get wifi up and running well.

There are three possibilities  

1) The modem unit supplied by Optus is defective. This is definitely possible and after you've done some tests they will generally send out a replacement unit free of charge.

2) Your settings on the modem are incorrect. Possibly you have set up 2.4Mhz and not 5Mhz wifi? 

3) The environment is interfering with the signal (i.e. brick walls or neighbors using up the same band - which is why they want you to try other bands)

Number 2 or 3 is the case in at least 50% of cases like this. I'd suggest getting a tech savy friend (if you're not) to try some tests to see what they can see.

Number 1 is also reported a lot, so getting a replacement (and one that does 5Mhz wifi) would be the next stop there.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos