Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
tonymy01
Contributor
Contributor

Poor NBN Support

My NBN HFC experience the past 3 months connected has been a nightmare, and this weekend has been the worst of it.

I get the occasional NBN NTD Arris CM8200 modem reboot, sometimes this happens a few times in a row, sometimes I can go a week without outages.  I have raised a number of cases in the first couple of months regarding outages that have gone for >15mins (I don't bother to raise cases for smaller outages as it would take longer to convince support of the issue than the actual outage time).

But this weekend has been the worst service provider interaction experience of my life with Optus support, 3hours chat session Friday night and 4hours Saturday night trying to convince support that my NBN was down (HFC, Arris modem LEDs flashing nearly all weekend from Friday 6pm and thru to even this Monday morning still down), and problems getting the support teams to look at the problem rather than "we have tested your service here and can see it is OK, can you check your wifi"..... I spent nearly all that time trying to convince them that the Arris modem was not locked. I resorted to doing the Arris hard reset to access its log pages, and sending support the Arris logs, but they still were asking me to check wifi and ethernet connections...

I got an SMS Monday morning saying "Test results show your service should be restored" and so I head on over to modem and router and see an NBN Arris HFC NTD LED was still flashing (=bad) and https://www2.nbnco.com.au/support/network-status still showed a problem in my area.

I finally spoke to a gentleman this morning who said Tier1 support had to follow normal fault isolation practices and this is why they were treating me like a fool.  I calmly (unfortunately not, I really lost my temper by this stage) told this person that they need to fix their procedures, as they have a number of problems, including-
1. NBN NTD Arris CM8200 modem lights flashing=nothing the end user can do. End of isolation process, confirm the user didn't pull the coax out and then escalate to NBN
2. Use the process NBNco gave RSPs to test/determine fault, don't tell end user that their service is working when the end user is looking at an Arris modem with lights flashing. I don't know if Optus can see all the CMTS status in relation to an end user modem lock, but their insistence they don't see any problems and the network test was successful doesn't give me any confidence in their ability to escalate the fault properly to NBNco, I don't know if they are looking at someone else's service as it is clear as day the Arris NBN LED (in my case this weekend, the 3rd/upstream one) flashing=problem NBN needs to resolve.

Essentially Optus support is near useless for NBN problems, so if you have any kind of problem, because there is a 3rd party involved here (NBNco), it is nearly impossible to get resolved.

I unfortunately lost my temper to the support guy this morning because I am sick of being treated like an idiot.  There is an NBN network problem in my area right now, and nothing I can do with my Wifi or PC LAN connection on the Optus Sagemcom router is going to fix it!  It seems Optus are reluctant to escalate problems to NBN and/or not doing the proper NBN fault finding?

( 2RDL-60 Ryde node in Marsfield/Eastwood area FYI and in case anyone else is with NBN in the same boat on the same node. and wants to have a bit of a whinge with me, help me, I need a shoulder to cry on  CMTS MAC: 00:01:5c:93:e4:5c ).

Please, I beg you Optus, fix your troubleshooting scripts.
Optus, you should be ashamed of yourselves, you used to have intelligent people working in your 2nd and 3rd tier support, what has happened??
Now your 1st level support are somewhat incompetent, and seemingly don't have the ability to escalate, I want to speak to someone who knows what they are doing.  Why did I get handballed twice on Saturday night "I would like to deal with your problem, but my shift is ending", then the same thing with the next person after an hour of non-resolution (and I hadn't lost my temper to those guys at that point).
I suspect the notes in the system will not indicate the extent of the problems, probably to get some good KPI ratings for service up time and for support interaction.

Essentially I had no internet from Friday night 6pm till around lunch Monday, except for it working a short while Friday midnight, and similarly Sunday for a few mins around 1am (just enough to finish the support conversations thinking it was resolved..).    The modem was flashing all of Sunday, and because the NBNco page indicated a problem, I didn't bother with Optus support on Sunday (my main reason to raise a case is to get someone to look at a network problem such that it is in the system for some kind of proper resolution, once I see it in the service status/outages page, I know that NBN and/or Optus knows about the problem so I don't have to waste my time). 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
tonymy01
Contributor
Contributor

Optus NBN suppport issues

duplicate post

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Optus NBN suppport issues

Hi tonymy01,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your poor experience.

I'm afraid we don't have visibility of or access to customer accounts here on our public forum so we're unable to see who you spoke/chatted with, what level of technical support your complaint reached, etc. 

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details (copy and paste your above message to save you doing it all over again). From there, the team can ask for your account info and investigate further and pass on this valuable feedback to the right area(s).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
tonymy01
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, sending message has got some action (took some time for a response, but was same day at least) and someone called me today.
But here is the confusing bit, they claimed they tested my NBN line and can see it is down, but my NBN has been fine since mid Monday! I really don't know what is going on with Optus.
Are they looking for a Sagemcom to claim my line is down now? Because at the moment, I have my OpenWRT router directly connected to the NBN Modem, to more easily facilitate getting outage logs, accessing the direct Arris log pages etc (Sagemcom logs are useless with the timestamp bugs and being filled with DNS lookup failures without the ability to filter out them).
I previously had the Sagemcom directly connected to the Arris until the Friday outage lasted long enough that I was interested in what the Arris was doing.
They have a technician scheduled to come Friday, but with no outage, i worry they will just walk away without really deeply investigating the potential issues our node here may have. Anyway, it is a start.
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'm sure if you let the technician know everything that you've mentioned they will take that onboard.

Let us know how you go.

With regards to being charged for the modem you'll need to contact Optus.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
tonymy01
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure a technician is coming now, I told the woman who called me today that my service is working, she said she will send an SMS for replying to if I get any more troubles, I asked her if the booked technician was coming tomorrow, she wasn't aware of this booking. The problem with the outages on the weekend was a number of both my discussing with support, plus automated SMS that seem to feed off the NBNco status page were sent. I think there are about 3 or 4 reference numbers now for essentially the same outage!
You would think these guys would look at the recent notes/ discussion history (especially the case# history) to ensure they know what is going on. The call dropped before we could finish the discussion and I didn't receive an SMS either.
The new outsourced Optus support really are poorly setup to support NBN properly.
0 Kudos
tonymy01
Contributor
Contributor

....and... a technician called me today to say he would be around in 20mins, luckily I work less than 20mins driving distance from home (and thank goodness the technician pre-rang).

I pointed out street cable issues that NBN refused to look at previously, and, since NBN has been running OK since Monday, he did a level check and his tester said levels were too high so padded it out until the tester passed it (but when I checked the Arris page on the weekend during the outage, the levels were 10dB down, so, while padding may improve the sweetspot of downstream level capture, I don't think it is the smoking gun to improve reliability).

0 Kudos