Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
peejaydubya
Contributor
Contributor

Pixellated FTA channels/Congested network/5GHz wireless Rubbish

Can anyone at Optus provide an Australian senior management contact that can resolve my broadband issues????   Ever since I was forced off my Optus cable service in February (this is only three months after the NBN service was "operational" in my area), I have experienced nothing but trouble with:

1. Broadband connection that is constantly congested because Optus has failed to purchase sufficient bandwidth from NBN to service my area
  2. 2.4GHz/5GHz Sagencom router (I'm being generous in calling this piece of cheap rubbish a modem) that consistently loses the 5GHz service if powered off
    1. Added to the non-performance of this piece of junk, I have to take mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, Toshiba laptop) to within 6-7 metres to finally have these devices successfully associate with the 5GHz SSID
    2. One of the so called support staff suggested Optus did all could be done to fix this problem so I should contact the router manufacturers DIRECTLY!!!!!!
  3. Gen III Fetch TV box (by the way, I am now on my third one) that is now also displaying pixellated FTA stations (like the previous ones)

These problems have NOT BEEN RESOLVED after many, many phone calls and complaints to TIO and ACCC appear to have no impact!   My frustration is "out the roof" as Optus is deliberately impeding me from escallating my complaints to local Australian Optus management.   The so called customer service provided from the sub-continent is nothing more than a message taking service and to date as add absolutely NO VALUE to me as a customer.   I want these issues sorted and I am not goint to go away.   FIX UP THIS RUBBISH SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

16 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Pixellated FTA channels/Congested network/5GHz wireless Rubbish

Hi @peejaydubya

Can understand your frustration. If you wish to escalate the matter then I would suggest writting a letter directly to the complaints department. Written complaints are generally handles a bit more efficiently. Live Chat and Phone support can be pretty hit and miss as you've discovered. The staff are usually guenuinely trying to help but can have varying degrees of capability etc. On your specific issues:

1) Congestion? Yep. This won't (can't) be resolved for you individually. Until Optus (and other Telcos) properly address this then you're stuck with it. Unfortunately addressing it will almost certainly mean an increase in monthly costs. If you are suffering it consistently you can usually request an end to any contract without penalty.

2) Modem? Have you requested a replacement modem? I've heard varying issues with this units wifi and you could have a dodgy one. While not ideal, you can always use a 'quality' unit of your own to transmit wifi around the house.

3) I assume you're talking FTA reception and not the FetchTV extra channels? Pixelated FTA reception is usually a symptom of your home reception. Three boxes would definitely suggest the issue is at home rather than the box itself. You are likely close to the 'digital cliff' which means some equipment might work fine while other equipment might struggle (or even show nothing).

As a test make sure only the Fecth TV is plugged into your aerial (no splitters and daisy chains) or cables into the TV or in other rooms etc.). See if the FTA reception improves. 

You could also try a booster box that IMO would likely improve your FTA reception. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Ops, wrong reply

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
peejaydubya
Contributor
Contributor

Peter,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide a response however your suggestions will not alleviate the issues I currently face:

(1).   In the age of electronic communications, I find writing a letter to be delivered by "snail mail" to a telecommunications company to complain about services to be a contradiction in terms.   I also suspect it is yet another way organisations like Optus place obstacles in customers' paths to frustrate customers from pursuing complaints.   Optus needs to provide customers with a local Australian issue escalation point, dealing directly with local management to address these complaints.    The current "technical assistance" phone service is a joke as the responders are nothing better than message takers.   The phone menu structure is chaotic and also long winded - just another device to dissuade customers from seeking assistance.   No, Optus must do much better than dealing up this rubbish to customers.

(2). Congestion - the NBN service was commissioned only at the end on last year and the old Telstra HFC system was used in my area.   Now, one would have to be drawing a long bow to suggest the planners didn't understand the likely broadband market in my area and so designed a service that within months of going "live" would be running into infrastructure network congestion.   No, all the signs point to Optus purchasing insufficient bandwidth from NBN and then blaming congestion on NBN.    This is the same sort of illogical excuse I was given back in January when I contact Optus after being informed my Optus cable service was going to be closed down.   Optus had the cheek to suggest NBN was forcing the shutdown but we all know that is not the truth!

(3).  Modem issues - before moving to Optus cable service some 2 and half years ago, Telstra was my broadband supplier.  While Telstra supplied the modem, I used a Linksys wireless router.   While it was single band, I had absolutely no issues with it for the 8-9 years I used it.   The issue currently is the dual-band Sagemcom modem is the biggest piece of communications equipment rubbish I have encountered in my 40 years in the IT game.   I would love to replace this boat anchor with something else but I want to keep my home phone connection.   Perhaps if Optus deployed an industry-standard VoIP protocol I could move to another suppliers’ device.   The latest round of “technical support” phone calls ended with me being told that I should contact Sagemcom directly to resolve as Optus had exhausted their lines of enquiry.   Isn’t that just great customer service – Optus provides a “not fit for purpose” piece of equipment to a customer then tells the customer to sort out the issues with the manufacturer!!!!!

(4).  FTA pixilated channels – once again, nothing wrong with my current outdoor antenna and the coaxial cable that runs between it and the family room wall termination.   Currently, I have the cable running directly into my TV and there is NO pixilation (or loss of sound).   There is also nothing wrong with the HDMI cable connecting my Fetch TV box to my TV.   Once again, the streamed channels work just fine.   Optus keep blaming Fetch for this issue but it is not comforting to know there are many other Optus customers experiencing exactly the same issue with these Gen III boxes.   I have asked but so far have been unable to establish whether this issue is hardware or software.   The first Gen II box was FTA inoperable for 5 weeks and the latest one has had FTA out of service for three weeks.

(5).  My experience as an Optus customer – if you are not convinced in the previous four points that I have been “given the run around” since February with this Optus nightmare, then I’m not sure how better to explain the current imbroglio.   My wife has suggested I request an early contract termination just to remove this frustration from my life.   This offer has been made to me by more than one person at Optus.   Be sure I am resolute and will continue to chase Optus until this disorganised, unprofessional, unconscionable organisation provides me with the services for which I am paying and have every right to expect.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hey @peejaydubya,

The suggestions will likely alleviate the solutions you face. That you don't want to act on them, well that's your own business.

1) Yep, in this 'modern age' 'snail mail' seems pretty laughable. But the 'law' is about a decade behind the times. If you write a letter you will be taken 'seriously'. In another 10 years then sending an email will be taken 'seriously'.

2) Can't disagree on this. Optus current business model almost guarantees congestion issues.

3) "Not fit for purpose" is open for interpretation. 900,000 other people find the modem does what they want. If it doesn't do what you were led to believe it could do then you should/can return it.

4) Fetch TVs work in thousands (100's of) of homes around the nation. Pehaps you got unlucky and they sent you a busted one. And then after you returned it they grabbed another and they sent you a busted one. So you returned it and they grabbed another random box and it turned out to be busted again. Statistically it is possible/certain one household in Australia will experience this. 

Alternatively your reception is close to the digital cliff. This allows for you TV to have perfect reception and your Fetch TV to have none. Get someone to check out your aerial or install a Kingray powered booster.

5) Your wife is wise. IMO your battle will be long and arduous. It is unlikely to result in anything, but maybe, after many years, just maybe you will be victorious. Optus will give you your due. It won't change anything for any one else but after four years you will have shown Optus they can't get away with poor service (indefinately)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

1. Writing an electronic online form to the TIO will get you faster results.

2. Well, should of go down the FTTP pathway instead of the current quick fix, quick money grab path. If it is the limitation of the HFC then going to another provider will have the same result .If Optus not getting enough CVC then complain to TIO, Optus hoping for optus to pay for more CVC or reduced your monthly fee OR switch to a provider who has more CVC, maybe Telstra. Btw what type of market of internet user in your area? 

3. If your Linksys has a modem capability then use it instead of the Sagam. IF not then buy a new spanking new Linksys or a Modem of your choice. turn off wifi and Dhcp and plug in the sagem into the Lan port and use it as an ATA for the home phone. If you are really really keen, then Yahoo the modem number and get the VOIP details and transfer it to your new modem or ATA, might need to play around with some python scripts (haven't tried it myself, not that keen). 

4. a. Faulty fetch box, take your box, bring a few beers and test it out at your neighbour's place, if FTA works fine then it is your problem, if not and your neighbour tv is working fine, then its the box .If it is the box then request optus for a new box. If it is you then lets troubleshoot and find the problem. Maybe a 4K OLED TV will fix that problem.

5. Hard to get on to a good tech, and the phone system is horrible, so much running in circle. Agreed with you here. However, I did come accross a few good techs both on the phone and live chat. So there is hope out there. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
newline
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

I am on FTTN in rural NSW. I have the Optus AC modem-router and the Fetch Mighty. I won node lotto and, therefore, have no issues. So, I offer the comments that follow:

There are obvious issues with NBN HFC. Just do a search and don't blame Optus in the meantime.

Your issues with the 5GHz signal to your devices indicates that you are in a wifi unfriendly area and/or your environment is attenuating the router's transmission. Do some tests with an application such as NetSurveyor to better understand your wifi environment. The Optus AC router has two settings (unfortunately) for 5Ghz - auto and 8/36. If you are on auto, try 8/36.

Pixellation hints that the Mighty is receiving marginal input. I admit that I am not an expert on the Mighty but did get some pixellation some time ago and found that a retune of my TV and a reset of the Mighty solved that.

I consider that many of the congestion reports about the NBN are actually wifi issues.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@newline

There are obvious issues with NBN HFC. Just do a search and don't blame Optus in the meantime.

I consider that many of the congestion reports about the NBN are actually wifi issues.

I'd be interested in some hand holding. Smiley Happy Congestion is readily identifiable. It happens between 7pm and 10pm every night. If a users household wifi setup was to blame I'm unsure why this would vary through the day?

Other RSPs providing internet access along the same NBN pipes to the same areas don't suffer any where the near the same congestion issues.

Limited CVC pipes supplying unlimited data plans is a hard one to square. Perhaps Optus have though.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
peejaydubya
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to providing hints.   I appreciate your feedback.  

(1). The reason I want 5GhZ is to move away from 2.4GHz congestion and other co-channel interference issues that I see after using some prefessional equipment (i.e. NetScout and some older Fluke gear) to undertake a spectrum analysis.   The fact that I have significant wireless reception (have to be within 7 metres of the router) issues in a domestic building that demonstrates no significant wi-fi interference signatures demonstrates the issues are with the Optus supplied equipment.   I have adjust DHCP settings in the misguided hope that different IP lease times would also assist.    Just an observation but my poor network experience is also extended to streaming issues on the Fetch TV box which is connected to the Sagemcom router via Ethernet cable.   No issues with cable length (well short of the 90 metre limit - allowing 5 metres each end for connectivity) and its CAT6 cable (gigabit rated).

(2). Also tried the TV channel reset and restore the Fetch TV box to "factory settings" and starting again.   Still no joy.

(3).  If this technology works without any issues then users with minimal technical experience can implement and have a satisfying experience.   I've worked all my professional career in supporting/managing IT services in a mulitude of business environments.   I am currently managing an upgrade wireless environment project for a major Australian university and well aware of wi-fi service requirements and NBN offerings.   There are no excuses that Australian retail customers should receive a substandard service from NBN or the ISP who leverage their services.    My network connectivity experiences are directly related to Optus service shortfalls.

0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

S

1) 5Ghz wifi, so you are getting good wifi signal and solid connection and the issue is it dropping out? Your assessment substandard quality from the Sagem modem.

2) Fetch TV pixelation for FTA. Your assessement bad FetchTV box. 

3) Optus provide substandard CVC bandwidth. Your assessment congestion due to not enough CVC. 

B

1) Sagem modem, not good but you wants to have 5Ghz. 

2) 3rd FetchTV box with the same poor result. 

3) Unable to resolve issue with Optus.

A

1) Sagem modem, other has reported issue, limited by settings restriction for advance users. Unstable at time.

2) Pixalation on the FTA, Pay channels or Both?

3) As reported by out user about congestion around 7-10pm.

R

1) Use the Sagem as the connection only and change to a stronger or even commercial grad Cisco 5Ghz access points. Or Replace the Sagem with a modem and router of your choice. 

2) If 3rd box that has the same issue, then the issue could be something else, do a signal test with your aerial, see if there are any signal lost from the roof to your box. Might even be the HDCP 2.2 issue, where the handshake between the Fetchtv and your TV can not be completed. If it is pixalation  on the pay channel then i could be due to the poor dl speed.

3) Don't think CVC or Optus CS will change any time soon. So change to another provider with a better CVC eg Telstra. Consider bonding connections to give you much higher bandwidth. If you are very very keen then apply for a business grade fibre connection to your property. IF you getting poor speed and great WIFI coverage and profile, could the poor 5Ghz performance is due to the bottleneck with your dl speed? 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors