Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Crikeyjoe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Phone won’t work after nbn (hfc) connected

Can any one explain why after Optus replaced my working modem I have no previously working home phone on NBN and that I keep getting Optus emails indicating they received and order update and I check My Account and I have no such orders?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Phone won’t work after nbn (hfc) connected

Your home phone through NBN does not come in the same way it used too, as the older copper is being switched off.

Plug your home phone into the "Phone 1" port on the Optus F@ST router to use your phone service.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Crikeyjoe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN connected home phone of fibre to my house stopped working

I have NBN connected home phone of fibre to my house for two years. I upgraded moths ago to higher NBN speed and that works fine and phone is working. Fetch upgrade and installed and working. Finally decided to install new Modem from Optus and SIP disabled and home phone connected to Port 1 will not work. 3 weels later and no resolution. Been on CHAT and expect a Case Management Call to resolve. All I keep receiving are emails confirming Optus received an order. No SMS's. I have no orders in MyAccount. I was told by Optus support they are to busy with backlogue. I have a Muscular Dystrohy and required the line for Ambulance Help last week. Can someone please help me understand why I receive all these same email messages and no working home line again.  It was a working phone before a simple modem swap/upgrade. Surely it is a simple Modem setting to be corrected somehow?  Appreciate any help. CrikeyJoe

0 Kudos
Crikeyjoe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi 

I clarified my situation on another Broadband & Telephony thread.  I have had NBN/Home Phone on Fibre to the house from Day 1

The phone only stopped after new modem installed and SIP Disabled prevent existing phone working. It has been weeks and Optus have failed to reset the setting in the modem. However I also keep getting emails about home phone order received. Checking myAccount I have no order. Co that is also confusing. Tks for you reply though

0 Kudos
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Rather than creating a new thread when you get an answer you don't expect, keep it to one thread so it's easier for others to answer.

If the "SIP is disabled", then it'll need an order to fix it. But it seems like they are struggling with your account (sadly when an order jams, it literally wipes out the account).

Your best bet instead of creating multiple threads on the same question, log a complaint via www.optus.com.au/complaints

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: NBN connected home phone of fibre to my house stopped working

As I explained in your other thread, try keeping things to one thread instead of opening a new one each time you have a question about the same process. It makes it harder for the Yes Crowd and others to support you when we have things in multiple places.

I'm sorry to hear about your health troubles, unfortunately, home phones in Australia aren't considered any kind of priority and are purely best effort. If you have a mobile, don't forget even if you don't have credit you can still call 000 on your mobile on prepaid (if you are prepaid). Because sadly, with the way NBN Phone services are delivered, if you have no power, your phone won't work either.

Given you are demanding a case manager, you need to log a complaint via www.optus.com.au/complaints as I mentioned in your other thread to get the CRG team on the case.

Crikeyjoe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. It was an accident in selecting the other thread. But once done! It really has been really out of character for Optus so they must be really feeling the NBN pinch. Thanks again

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: NBN connected home phone of fibre to my house stopped working

Is it possible to plug the old modem back in? I agree its just a settings issue (either on the new modem or at Optus) but while testing you could possibly just return to what works?

The NBN presents extra steps to people with health issues. Not hard but you need to work through them.

1. Optus doesn't support customers requiring priority assistance

2. You should arrange to connect via Telstra (who does). In particular their modem has a backup 4G (mobile) SIM so if for some reason the NBN stops working then the home phone (and internet) switches over and keeps working.

3. These days a home phone is not the critical communication tool it used to be. We all have mobile phones and can summon help (in most homes).

It really shouldn't take repeated efforts by you to try make sense of what is going on. If you can't get a resolution soon I'd suggest telling Optus you have medical issues and need to move to a provider that can support them.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Ganpat
New Contributor
New Contributor

Simply call Optus on 131344 and report fault, they just need to place an order to recreate your phone service if "SIP is disabled", and all should be ok

0 Kudos
Crikeyjoe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have taken all advice and offiially raised a complaint. In the past weeks I have spoken to numerous people in Optus and they passed me to the next who was to have a system that could access something. In the end (Optus - Yes I have spoken to them many times, if it was that simple) they seem to have 8 - 16 dayslogjam in even calling you. Never an SMS. Then if you miss that call, back you go into a queue. Simply put, Optus have failed to provide the most basics of support. Changing a setting in a Modem ain't that difficult. Thanks for all the advice. I will go to another supplier with a MUCH better router and level of service.

0 Kudos