Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Dragonball
Occasional Contributor

Phone line not ringing when calling in

I have just installed NBN last week. I connect the NBN box to my existing Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 rounter thru WAN port which Ip 192.168.1.1. The Optus router is Sagem F@ST 5366 TN. I use it as extended network rounter in my living room. The IP address of Optus router is 192.168.1.100 and DHCP is disabled. If I plug network cable into WAN port of Optus router, I can make phone call but no ringing if call comes in. If I pulg network cable into one of LAN port. I cannot make phone call at all.

If I just use the Optus rounter as main rounter and connect WAN port to NBN modem. No problem.  Can someone help. I like to use the Netgear rounter because it build -in an internet security software. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Phone line not ringing when calling in

I have a similar setup NBN Box->Asus RT-N66U->PAP2 Voip Adapter .

Connect the 5366 WAN port to the Nighthawk. On the Nighthawk you will need to do a port forward and disable SIP passthrough. Below are the setting I use on my the RT-N66, you will need to find the equivalent settings on your Nighthawk.

On WAN->NAT Passthrough page:
     SIP Passthrough = Disable

On WAN->Virtual Server / Port Forwarding:
     Service Name =VoIP
     Source IP = [Blank]
     Port Range = 5060
     Local IP = 192.168.1.100 <-- Optus router IP goes here
     Local Port = [Blank]
     Protocol = Both

Occasional Contributor

Thanks your quick help. I follow your setup info. In WAN setup, I disable SIP ALG.

Port Forwarding: Service name =VoIP

Protocol                :  TCP/UDP

External Port Range: 5060

Internal IP: 192.168.1.100

Connect WAN port on Optus router to a LAN port of my Netgear router.

But my phone ring only I retart Optus router after changed the above settings. After a few minutes there is no ringing when I call my land line number again. If I restart Optus router again, phone ring but fail to ring if I call again in a few minutes later.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like registration is failing. Registration is done on port 5060. The only thing I can think of is that you need to set the internal port range to 5060 explicitly. On my asus router (and on many routers as far as I know)  if I leave the internal port blank it will automatically use the same port number as what is set for external.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I use Netgear service name "IP Phone" port setting = 6670. Now my phone is ringing.

Below I have found a web sit list different routers setting may help Optus NBN users. https://www.voicehost.co.uk/help/sip-alg-and-why-it-should-be-disabled-your-router

Netgear

Look for a 'SIP ALG' checkbox in 'WAN' settings.

Under 'NAT Filtering' uncheck the option 'SIP ALG'
Port Scan and DoS Protection should also be disabled.
Disable STUN in VoIP phone's settings.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The port should be 5060 not 6670.  I extracted the 5060 number directly from Optus' configuration, and 5060 is what I use with my PAP2. 

You can try things in the following order and stop as soon as you get it working.

1) Set internal port to 5060. Test incoming calls.

2) Disable STUN. Test incoming calls.

3) Disabling Port Scan & DoS Protection.. Test incoming calls.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Actually both 6670 and 5060 are working BUT incoming call still not detected after a few successfull dial in. 

So I define a range of port instead of one port. Bingo it works. I set both internal and external port range = 5060-6670

Besides, I have done followings:

I also enable DHCP on the Optus router. Set IP range from 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.254

Reserve IP address and MAC address of Optus router in my Netgear router.

Hope can help people have similar setup.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Happy you got it working, although I still don't understand why that specific port range was needed. In addition to 5060, VoIP does require a range (RTP/RTPS) to carry the actual voice data and is typically 16384-16482, or a subset of 10000-20000, and is sometimes needed to be forwarded and/or disabling RTSP Passthrough. But that does not matter now for you.

Enabling DHCP on the optus router should not be connected to VoIP issues, its just allowing other devices to connect to the optus router via LAN or WiFi.

0 Kudos