cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Phone Not operating when in NBN 4G backup mode

Our NBn has stopped working but we still have internet because the modem has connected via the backup 4G but we have no phone. Any suggestions. When I log in to the modem URL it says the phone is disabled but there is nothing to click on to re-enable it.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Phone Not operating when in NBN 4G backup mode

That is normal for 4G backup. Nothing you can do about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Minessence, a lot of people have cacelled their home phones for that very reason and just rely on their mobile.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

With Telstra in the same situation the phone works, I know because we have telstra NBN to our house and Optus NBN to my office on the same property. The NBN has failed to both locations since Friday. The Telstra home phone works fine on its NBN modem's 4G backup, the Optus business phone does not work on 4G backup. Perhaps I need to move it to Telstra NBN too?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @minessence

Some services or service features may not work while the Optus Ultra WiFi Modem is using the 4G back up service. This includes but is not limited to voice service.

I have also marked your message as feedback for the relevant teams to review. I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@minessence wrote:

With Telstra in the same situation the phone works,

Optus obviously decided not to bother supporting phone on backup which is a big disappointment

the Optus business phone does not work on 4G backup.

Have you tried redirecting incoming calls to a mobile or the Telstra number as a partial workaround?

Perhaps I need to move it to Telstra NBN too?

If you think you will get a lot more NBN dropouts and the phone line is that important, then it makes sense to do so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@George_YCSo in an emergency how do end users call 000 on the phone when it is in 4G mode?

I know if the power goes out the NBN also goes out and therefor the phone also goes out, but in this case the power is still up and the NBN router has failed over to 4G, but the phone is still down.

I hope from a legal perspective Optus have made people aware of this, but here is an example of this not occurring.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The trouble is we cannot rely on the mobile as a business phone on our property here because there's not enough signal. I have to walk outside each time someone calls me on it or if I need to call someone. Optus cannot give me date when we will have an adequate signal in our area. Strange when this area is zoned commercial--other business owners in our area are just as frustrated as we are.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The trouble is we cannot rely on the mobile as a business phone on our property here because there's not enough signal. 

Yet you stated that the Telstra NBN phone backup works fine, so why can't you redirect the phone to the Telstra phone line as I suggested earlier? 

I have to walk outside each time someone calls me on it or if I need to call someone. 

So even if the Optus NBN backup worked with phone you couldn't rely on it because you say the signal is bad.

0 Kudos