Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor d1mmer
New Contributor

Pathetic NBN HFC service - dropouts

I had my optus hfc nbn install done on tuesday 23rd july 2019, and since then there has been a plethora of problems. The installer did not check any cabling, just plugged in the nbnco box, as our house had pre-existing telstra coax cabling.

The first problem:
The NBNco provided NBN modem (Arris box) would intermittently disconnect and lights would blink until it regained stability.
I contacted optus about this, to which a technician came the next day and replaced the coax port in my house, and the one on the street. This resulted in the 4 lights on the modem remaining solid, and all seemed well for a little while.

The second problem:
Although now the lights remained solid, always, the optus supplied sagemcom router would consistently lose upstream/downstream (ie, internet) connection. I tested with 2 other routers and the same problem occurs at random times.
Contacted optus again, an NBN tech came for the 2nd time and replaced the street coax connector I believe, and again, all was good for a little while until the same problem returned. So I contacted optus again, and they said they will contact me back, but I have not received any contact. This has happened twice now.

Not really sure where to go from here, my house also has 3 telstra coax lines, so i have tested all 3 ports and i obtain the same problem from all. I searched through this forum, couldn't find much on the same situation as myself, or anything with clear resolution. I have since filed a complaint with the TIO.

Just to detail the extremity of the dropouts, i run a simple tool that pings google.com and facebook.com every 5 seconds. Leaving this running for 24hrs at a time, I see between 15-40 dropouts per day, ranging from 3min to 15min in duration

Anyone else had the exact same problem before? Please help, trying to study for upcoming uni exams is a real PITA when I have to deal with a dropout every 15min...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Pathetic NBN HFC service - dropouts

It does sound like a fault on your line. HFC can have stability problems in some cases. Are you getting good speeds up and down?

It also sounds like Optus are working pretty actively to try resolve the issue. Especially as they don't have direct control over the  NBN. 

You mention the TIO getting involved but I'm not sure what they will ad to the process (other than another voice in the mix). Thry're primarily concerned with Telcos meeting contractual obligations. The most they will do is order Optus to end your contract (which Optus would likely do on request at this stage anyway)

I'd be wondering about those three?? Telstra lines coming into your property. I'd be possibly looking to get two removed to discount some sort of cross interference etc. 

You could also try dropping down a speed teir (if you are on 100 try 50 and see if the stability improves). If it does work out the rest after your exams. But at the moment the best I can see is requesting Optus to get NBN to come out and keep checking (they also keep their own drop out records to your home)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor d1mmer
New Contributor

Re: Pathetic NBN HFC service - dropouts

When it is working, the speeds are fine and consistent. I am on the 100/40 pack, definitely not wanting to go slower.

If optus/nbnco claims interference from the other lines, they may disconnect it, but nothing has been said about them and the techs noticed those lines.

0 Kudos