Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Contributor Garth2079
Contributor

Outgoing Port Blocking

Hi Optus crowd,

Has anyone been able to persuade Optus to remove the outgoing block on port 25 to external mail servers? The only allowed mail servers are Optus-run servers. I don't want to send my live.com.au emails through the Optus SMTP server, thanks.

3 weeks and waiting. Over 20 calls from Optus Customer Complaints. Nobody understands the problem, and nobody passes it on to the appropriate department. On a recent call-back, the rep said "I'm about to block port 25 on your internet connection but need authorisation from the named account holder". Scary lack of understanding.

If you were able to persuade Optus to unblock TCP/IP port 25 outgoing to external mail servers, please share your secret method.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Outgoing Port Blocking

Hi Garth2079,

Some info can be found on this thread.

You may have better luck if you have a social media account, sending a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.
If not, please Chat with us choosing the Technical issues options or Message Us from your My Optus App under the Help menu.

Let us know how you go.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor Garth2079
Contributor

Hi @Ray_YC 

Thanks for the reply and your research. Unfortunately the link you posted just takes me to another customer facing the same issue as me, with no resolution offered apart from calling the general Optus support number. After the past 2 weeks of "support" I would rather stick pins in my eyes.

I raised a TIO complaint after about a week. The TIO have better access to staff that can actually get stuff done by the right department. The biggest problem I have had is that, since the level 1 support don't understand the problem, they refuse to escalate it. I had one rep insist that, because i couldn't send emails from (for example) my live.com.au email address (Microsoft's hotmail under a different name) then I must contact Microsoft and tell them to email me that it's not their server causing the issue before Optus would investigate. When I explained that Microsoft charge around $400 for a support call (based on previous experience) he said I would need an email from Microsoft saying they were going to charge $400. He still carried on with this even when I explained the same problem occurred with the Telstra/Yahoo/TPG as well. He did offer to put me through to Optus premium support for $99. When I politely refused to pay $99 so Optus could carry out a simple configuration change, he said he would be closing the ticket. In a way that's a relief, becuase I have been getting a call from a different rep every day. Some promise to get a tech to call me, but it never happens (except the guy who said he was a L3 tech, then admitted he was from customer relations when I asked him to name the port used by HTTPS). Then I get a new rep calling the next day asking if my fault is resolved and can they close the ticket. Groundhog Day.

Some ISPs have a self-service portal where customers can block/unblock certain ports. My 4-week problem could have been sorted in 5 minutes with a portal (or even by talking to someone that understands what an outgoing port 25 block is).

I reckon, once I get allocated a TIO case manager, this will get resolved in 24 hours. Just a shame I have to jump through hoops and complain to the ombudsman first.

@Ray_YC If you have access to someone in your networks team that understands that, on our NBN HFC service, TCP/IP port 25 is blocked outbound for all SMTP servers except the Optus mail servers, and can lift that block, please go for your life. In fact, I'd prefer there were no blocks in place at all. I'm an IT consultant and a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, I understand the risks of an open SMTP relay or an unpatched web server. Can you get all incoming/outgoing port blocking removed on my connection? I'm happy to PM you my details if you think you can.

We could get into a conversation about the merits of blocking ports. But before going there, bear in mind that our previous Optus HFC broadband connection wasn't blocking the traffic. We had that connection for 15 years and we survived without incident. Also, my (Optus postpaid) phone hotspot doesn't block it. If it were such an issue, why wasn't it blocked on my old HFC connection, and why is it open on my phone's 4G connection?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'm afraid I don't unless you can provide a fault ticket number I can follow up on.

If you are still in contact with the Customer Relations representative if you haven't already I would suggest to request speaking to his manager. As you described it sounds fairly straight forward to arrange however it's not something we have access to do here.

It's not clear if you did try our Social Media or Technical Support Live Chat team, you may have better luck.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor Garth2079
Contributor

@Ray_YC Thanks for following up.

I did ask for a supervisor - the rep said they were the final point of contact and wouldn't put me through, even when I insisted. They also refused to give me their CP number, claiming they weren't allowed to (even when I quoted 3 other CP numbers back from the other reps that had called me).

But, out of the blue, a different rep called yesterday and said they couldn't change the port block. I said they could, they checked, and said they couldn't but he was going to do it for me. After an amusing discussion about how he couldn't do it but was going to do it, he got "level 3" to make the change. After a period of terror that he had broken something because my internet connection went down for 3 minutes (panic that I would haev to raise a ticket with Optus support), it appears someone who actually knew what they were doing had got involved because, when it returned, the port was unblocked. From the time he put me on hold to speak with "level 3" to the internet connection returning with the port unblocked... 5 minutes. Time spent between raising the ticket and getting to this phone call... over 4 weeks.

No, I hadn't spoken with social media, or live chat. Last time I spoke with live chat they gave me wrong info and Optus refused to honour it (until the TIO insisted). I doubted that (real) leel 3 techs would monitor facebook so didn't vent my frustration there.

I guess the TL;DR version is... it can be done. Optus support makes the easy bit (talking to the right person) the hardest bit, and the hardest bit (knowing how to make the change and actually doing it right) the easy bit. I once had the same technical issue with TPG a while back. It took 10 minutes from start to finish.

I know you can't fix this on your own, but the forum is full of frustrated customers that have run out of ideas how to get something done. Perhaps reporting back the kinds of problems might help the right people realise more needs to be done. In my case, I reported the exact problem, the solution, and the people that could carry out the work. It still took over 4 weeks, hours of Optus staff time pushing it between themselves, and a TIO complaint (and the associated cost to Optus).

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'm truly relieved you finally got it resolved.

I/we definitely report back problems raised here on Yes Crowd. As a starting point I've suggested we have a dedicated online help and support page for port blocking/unblocking.

New Contributor MartinHowell
New Contributor

Has anything been done about setting up the "Port Blocking / Unblocking" help line?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi MartinHowell,

Just checking if you mean the online help and support page for port blocking/unblocking?

0 Kudos
Contributor Garth2079
Contributor

I think it's pretty clear he's enquiring after your statement "As a starting point I've suggested we have a dedicated online help and support page for port blocking/unblocking."

Or, if you're unsure, you could answer that and see if that's what he meant. There's really no harm in supplying that answer. Things are slow enough on yescrowd without adding in extra reply cycles.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks Garth2079, he referred to it as the help line so if he meant about our customer care team on the phone (a.k.a. help line) based on the experience described in this thread that's a bit beyond what I/we can control here. I did take the initiative to follow up with our help and support team at the same time and will provide an update once received.

0 Kudos