Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
karuahjack
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus up grade from ADSL to NBN

Everything is working fine with the exception of the original land line phone system. 

Package I have as of yesterday included porting old land line number to the new system.

The phone in my office I have plugged into the new Optus modem and works fine, the original wall mounted phone does not work anymore.

There was no indication form Optus about this also they did not provide a phone to go with the modem.

I now require a solution to reinstalling a local phone in the original position in my living room/kitchen, currently connected to the original Telstra system.

Regards Jack Drake

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus up grade from ADSL to NBN

@karuahjack wrote:

the original wall mounted phone does not work anymore.

This is normal for an NBN install. The old house phone wiring becomes obsolete for everything except for the first phone port.

There was no indication form Optus about this

Most/all phone companies are bad about informing customers about this.

they did not provide a phone to go with the modem.

No NBN phone plans from any company always assume the customer will just re-use their existing phones.

I now require a solution to reinstalling a local phone in the original position in my living room/kitchen

This is now up to you to hire your own registered cabler for any home wiring you need.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You don't get a free phone. As mentioned you need to get any phones connected to the modem directly. You can plug the modem into a phone wall point and then other wall points will be connected. You might need a small rewiring at one existing point to allow the modem to be plugged into the old wall point as well as have a slot for a second. Or just buy a cheap phone double adapter:

https://www.google.com/search?q=phone+double+adapter

You could also just replace the phones with newer cordless ones. They don't cost much and plenty to choose from. Do your research.

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/panasonic-cordless-phone-twin-pack-kx-tg6822alb?
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
You could also just replace the phones with newer cordless ones.

Or just unmount the wall phone and use it as a desk phone.