Searching...
Highlighted

Optus threatens to disconnect cable connection to sign up to Optus NBN

Ezzig

Hi all... I received a letter a while back saying I needed to swap to nbn as it was available in my area... then received a letter in a very snarky tone telling me I’d be disconnected if I didn’t switch to an nbn plan.. deadline says 7/1/19... I’ve been looking at different plans and I’m now trying to find out if as of Monday I will have no internet access... been on hold 3 times with Optus already for longer than 30 minutes each time... and no answers yet... I’m looking at a different provider who said it could take 10-20 days to complete my swap to nbn with them... will I have no internet access during that time...? 

Re: Optus threatens to disconnect cable connection to sign up to Optus NBN

[ Edited ]
Davelew

Hi

I think it might be the case you should have read the first letter regarding migrating to the NBN carefully. They would have given a date when internet services must be moved. Optus negotiated with the NBN 3 month cut off for their cable users.

You will need to decide quickly who you want to provide your NBN service and place an order. It may well be now you could be without service for a few days.

Edit: should have added the easiest way to place an order for Optus NBN is online. I migrated in November last year and took 13 days from placing the order to connection.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

I take it you are on Optus Cable? Also the NBN has been available in your area for a while?

While most internet connections will remain for 18 months after the NBN arrives, Optus cable is the exception. They will allow around three months (this is quite allowed btw). So you need to sign up to a new NBN plan like everyone else but you've left it a bit late.

FWIW its very unlikely Optus will disconnect anyone on the 7/1/19. Its a date in a letter but Optus will very likely keep going another month or two.

The good news is NBN technology is not using Optus cable at all. So you can keep your Optus account going for as long as they keep it switched on and get the NBN to run in a cable and get set up completely seperately. Once the NBN is connected then you can cancel the Optus line.

Alternatively, ask Optus to install your NBN line and switch you over.

Peter Gillespie

MadMick

Hmmmm. I received the same letter plus several postcards. The letter headlines the claim "The NBN has never been closer . . .", the postcards, (all addressed anonymously to "The Resident") suggest the NBN is "now available in this street". Obviously, the NBN Crowd don't speak to the Optus Crowd otherwise the suggested date for completion of the NBN in my area wouldn't be showing on the NBN website as "More work to be done . . . Expected availability July 2020*"  That's quite a leap backwards from their original estimate last August of February 2019. For now and also the next 18 months I will ignore any snail-mail urging me to sign up now. Shame really. Especially for the NBN contractors on a ladder up the telegraph pole outside my place on Christmas Day. I hope the overtime rates they received made it all worthwhile even if they did annoy the neighbours.

veryanoyed

i was forced onto the nbn constant dropouts very poor internet speeds and the worst service ive ever encountered my buddy is still on ADSL no dropout and constant 30 mbs this company lies about the services it is able to provide its a bit late once theyve got your money GO with an Aussie provider better customer service so your not dealing with a call center employee that considers you a wealthy whinger

DoesItGetWorse

I'm still within my 24 month contract with Optus Cable and am being forced off it by 15 July 2019, which is still within my contract period. Optus' NBN50 plans are around 30% higher than everyone else's and 30% higher than what I'm paying for my cable, so obviously I have no interest in taking Optus' NBN plan as a cable replacement. Given that Optus are the ones reneging on my contract, how am I placed here with respect to termination fees?

petergdownload

There are none. As you say Optus is discontinuing its service (which its allowed to do contractually). You are free to move off now without penalty or otherwise your signal will be turned off and you will recieve a last bill from Optus.

What technology are you getting the NBN on? Its possible you could arrange the NBN connection now while keeping the Optus one up and running (NBNCo don't use Optus cable). That way you can get 100% confirmed on the NBN before just cancelling the Optus contract.

There are definitely cheaper NBN plans around but Optus do offer a fair bit of additional content / fetch tv etc. Nice thing about the NBN is you now have choice and don't have to limit your choice to Telstra or Optus to get high speed internet. FWIW most 100Mbps are now priced at a premium but for most households 50Mbps is actually plenty at the moment.

But all that aside I would start actively looking into the NBN now. Its at least a month for most new connections depending on technology. Get the process started before you get disconnected.

Peter Gillespie

DoesItGetWorse

Thanks for the info Peter. My area uses HFC. Not sure if that means use of my Optus cable or not. There's no Telstra cable running into my house as far as I know.

Re fetch TV. Never needed or watched it, so it has a $0 value to me. I also haven't used a landline in around 10 years. This puts Optus' $85 NBN50 plan effectively among the most expensive plan in the market.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Just to confirm HFC is what the NBN says they will be using? You could end up with FTTC.

The Optus HFC network is being torn down shortly. NBNCo will run a new line in from the Telstra street cable (or switch the Optus one across).

No content or landline? Sounds like you are in a good position to find a plan that suits your needs then. FWIW I would recommend selecting a month to month plan provider as you get much more flexability if the service is no good.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
53 Kudos
30 Kudos
23 Kudos
18 Kudos