cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor pgeorgiou5
New Contributor

Optus stole my Telstra NBN port without my permission

3 weeks ago I noticed something strange about my Telstra NBN connection. I checked my IP and noticed it had changed to Optus overnight.

I reported the issue to both Optus and Telstra immediately and neither would believe me at first.

I eventually got Optus to admit that they had activated the connection at my address that morning.

I thought that eventually my connection would switch back to Optus as quickly as it was stolen, but a week ago my connection went down and hasn't been back since? Telstra claim that they are trying to reactivate the port, but Optus won't release it!

Optus won't speak to me because I'm not the account holder of the connection at my own home!

To say I'm annoyed with the situation is an understatement. It was one thing for my connection to switch to Optus, but at least I had a working connection. Now I have nothing!

Optus have basically broken my connection and refuse to fix it and I'm not even a customer of theirs. Are they any legal avenues I can pursue here? I have wasted so much time on this issue and have been unable to work from home for the last week.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Optus stole my Telstra NBN port without my permission

It does sound weird. At a guess someone has provided your address (or its been mistyped) in getting Optus NBN. Optus then requested NBNCo  to make the switch which would have been done pretty seamlessly. 

Legally you don't have much (practical) options with Optus. You have no commercial relationship with them and while they are probably stuffing around one of their customers (who is wondering where his NBN is). As you've found most Optus staff can't even look at the problem due to privacy concerns.

Telstra and NBN are also essentially a victims here in that they've just followed "your" requests. They can't do anything until Optus do release the address.

It may all get resolved sooner but I would suggest a application to the TIO explaining the issue and just requesting Optus get their act together. Otherwise its likely just making contact every day and pehaps getting someone who will take the issue beyond  "my hands are tied". I'll flag a mod here, but I don't think they'll have much more luck, but maybe? @Ray_YC  @AlistarS 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor pgeorgiou5
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I already raised a complaint with the TIO and they simply forwarded it to Telstra as I'm a Telstra customer.

It's pretty frustrating. I went from a a working Telstra NBN connection to a working Optus connection and then to nothing at all. I've now had no NBN for the last 7 days.

I checked router logs and my connection dropped for 2 minutes when switching from Telstra to Optus. so I don't understand why Telstra can't take it back just as quickly.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Transferring the connection does indeed take a few minutes. 

However to stop anyone ringing up and switching your connections around the Telcos and NBN have put in place a bunch of hoops that identify you and your address etc. to ensure its a legit request. Unfortunately someone (people) has stuffed up and those hoops all got passed. As I said one likely way is the final address given to the system was yours (probably just mistyped a number in the street address). But those hoops all still exist in the reverse direction and that's what you're up against at the moment as they're designed not to be easily circumvented.

Hopefully Telstra are acting to get your account back (after all Optus have illegally appropriated the account from them). Perhaps contact Optus and ask what documentation is need to prove you are the owner of the property in question. This issue does happen reasonably often where people sell a house or move out of rented digs but forget to tell the Telco. So the new owner is told the connection is under another name and that person must be contacted (which in many cases is not an option). Optus should have a process where you can ID yourself fully and regain control of the property.

Peter Gillespie

Note that under consumer law Telstra is required to provide you with the service they have promised. You should talk to them about some loan device (4G modem?) with data on it to help while this issue is sorted. Perhaps more data loaded onto your phone for a hotspot? You are also entitled to recover foreseeable costs and so if you organised your own alternative short term solution Teltra would normally have to reimburse you those costs.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors