cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Blog Author

Re: Optus problem accessing websites

We've since reopened problem report - 18552942.

I'll continue to update you guys as I receive more info. 

That's really disappointing to hear @Truso.

Hopefully a fix isn't too far off! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Public Holiday.......all day to enjoy PS4 and netflix oh wait i cant because the service i pay for isnt working and the Optus techs keep telling me its my fault and to call PSN and Netflix. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, great work and please keep reporting problems. It seems that when enough of us report the same issue we get some action.  In saying this.  Try using a VPN as this seems to help to get around the current problem.  Not fully, but it helps.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Just as a note to Optus. How can you possibly identify real problems as there are so many platforms and options for reporting? There is nothing central . Ie 20 problems reported on 10 platforms. Just checking one platform and the problem could be reported once. Maybe something to think about.  Hey Australian government. Not loving the NBN at all.  The system was great and then you fixed it.... sure did!  Oh and just FYI, still got the same problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well said Truso.

The way Optus treats its customers with contempt has been absolutely appalling.

It's took me over 2 hours yesterday to try and convince you clowns that a problem DID exist.

I clearly explained that:

1) I had tried multiple devices, connected via ethernet

2) the majority of websites I tried simply wouldnt load

3) when I connect to my mobile phone hotspot, everything works fine.

4) modem has been restarted counteless times

That above information alone, is enough to identify the fault is NOT the user.  Yet, whether it has been on the phone, live chat, or twitter, Optus has had their head burried in the sand, refusing to believe there IS an issue unless the whole f'ing suburb rings in!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Aaaarrrggghhhhh!! Why didn't I check here earlier?? We are based in Cheltenham and have had ongoing issues since yesterday (Tuesday, April 24th), if not prior to that.

We cannot access some websites, some of which are needed for work purposes. Normally I would try this forum, but I wasn't even able to access it at the time.

I logged a support ticket earlier this morning, and fair dues to the guy he got me to try a number of things, but nothing seems to have worked. Event though my Optus/NBN neighbour is having the same issuess the technician chap at one stage was suggesting a faulty modem/router. I tried to explain that the probability of two modems failing in the same street at the same time are pretty slim, but I let him run with it. However, before getting to the replacement stage he said he would escalate the call and I would hear from them within the next 3 BUSINESS DAYS!!

From what he could see it wasn't a congestion issue, which I agree with as some sites can accessed almost instantly whereas others (e.g. www.newsnow.co.uk) would time out. Also, ping times to google.com are sitting normally around 25ms and there are  little or no dropped packets.

Hopefully the feedback here combined with a number of calls to Optus might make them take some action.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Minceyheid, the problem is with Optus, it’s not your router/wifi box,  and it’s not the websites you are trying to access.  Too many people in Cheltenham3192 with exactly the same problem and I would be pretty confident that we are not all going to the same websites. I can also tell you that when I tether through my Telstra mobile phone. Zero problems.  It’s a real pity that we are all still getting the same response from Optus.  It’s really great you contacted Optus to report a problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry Minceyheid, forgot to add. Please encourage your neighbour to report their problem to Optus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

I'm still waiting on another update guys.

If you're going to call in, please make sure that you quote fault reference - 18552942

They'll create a 'child ticket' and attach it to the 'parent' problem report. 

For having trouble accessing specific websites, can you try a DNS Flush?

1. Click Start.
  2. Enter cmd in the Start menu search text box.
  3. Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  4. Run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns. If the command succeeds, the system returns the following message: ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Petersurf. I did try to explain to the tech that it was unlikely to be the modem, but I suppose he has to follow the normal troubleshooting procedures. He seemed to suggest that a new modem may be a last resort, but I would hope that there are sufficient tickets logged by users in our area that it would flag something on the Optus systems.

One strange thing was that connecting a laptop via Ethernet seems to get much better performance than over wireless. I suspect that is what go the tech thinking it was a modem/router issue.

As a result, I hunted for an un-used router I have and connected it through a cable on the Optus Sagemcom. It seemed to improve my wireless performance, but I still had issues connecting to some websites. I then swapped out my modem/router for the Sagemcom, but it didn't resolve anything. It was at that stage I thought to try again to check this forum.

Like you, I flick to 3G/4G on my mobile and can access the same websites without any issue. Hopefully the tech added this to my ticket as I mentioned it to him.

Question for Dan_C, if the problem ticket (18552942) has been re-opened can we call and ask for updates on this? Also, can I call and ask for the ticket I created this morning to be attached to the same Problem ticket?

0 Kudos