Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus nbn coaxial installers refuse to do job

Hi. I have tried on 2 occasions now to get nbn installed. I had the utility box put on the side of my house a while ago. I thought ,great, I’ll be up and running soon. Booked an installation. The guys came , scratched their heads a bit, didn’t want to install to where  the modem currently was cause they said it’s too hard for them. Offered the garage or a main bedroom, both in contravention of the installation guidelines. The technician said he could do it privately for cash on the weekend. I said don’t worry. Then after many phone calls and wasted time and dropouts on the phone to Optus including a letter to Optus and nbn that was never acknowledged. An Optus sales person guaranteed me it would be installed if they came out again. So guess what, they came again and said , oh it’s too hard, you need to pay someone to run the cables to where you want it. Even though the optuswebsite clearly says if you have a non standard installation your technician will quote on the spot. To add to this I don’t believe it would be that hard, and we certainly wouldn’t go over the 40m cabling allowance. So, what do I do? Pay myself for someone to run coaxial cable? Ditch Optus? Has anyone had good success with installs with other providers? Thanks 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus nbn coaxial installers refuse to do job

These are NBN technicians (not Optus employees) they will run a cable to a point in your home that they decide. Its possible to discus alternatives but ultimately they have last word. That two separate installers have baulked suggests what you are asking for is not simple. Optus (and all other providers) have no control over NBN technicians. All they can do is book them.

If you want to have a specific install then placing some conduit pipe or running some cable at your expense is what you need to do. Otherwise when the installers turn up you need to let them do it how they want.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. I guess this highlights what a mess the nbn is. NBN states installation is free. Phone companies say if it’s non standard a fee may apply or will be quoted. No one anywhere says “you may be told to pay for a few metres of cabling yourself “
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yes its been a frustrating process for each group (the Telcos, NBNCo and the customers). Each group has different ideas of what is to be expected. Telco customer service often blamed NBNCo for their own issues or exaggerated what they would be doing to make the sale. Perhaps most critically there's been little back and forth communication between some Telcos and the NBN which inevitably leaves the customer on the losing end and trying to sort it out themselves. And yes its difficult to find practical information on the install process if you want to be part of it yourself.

Perhaps if you can get the installer to leave enough extra cable bundled up to do your preferred route then after they do their install you can re rout it how you want (Usually the installer has issues with the route (and where they can bury cable rather than a few $ of extra cable.)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos