cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor ynoodles
Occasional Contributor

Optus modem / wifi router cutting out several times a day

Has anyone else experienced this: my Optus modem / router cuts out more and more often. Initially once or twice a week, now a few times per day. It is not a complete shutdown but the wifi network goes down. I have to switch the router off and on to fix it, so I don't think it's an (NBN) internet issue? Optus has sent me a new modem but it's the same model, so I am not hopeful. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their router and do you think it's a (hardware) issue with one box (which can be resolved by replacing it) or something affecting all routers? NBN has not been reporting any issues in the area btw.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Optus modem / wifi router cutting out several times a day

Hey there ynoodles,

Sounds like you raised this issue with Optus and it was determined the router may be faulty so they have sent out a new replacement?

Let us know how you go with the new hardware.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

As I expected, it is NOT the router. It is still dropping out several times a day, although it looks like now it does come back on by itself sometimes (but not always...). Any suggestions what to do next? If I get the call centre they will just suggest replacing the router again...

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That is disappointing to hear.

Please Chat with us choosing the Technical Support option, advising that the router isn't the issue as proven by the replacement one issued.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

This is EXTREMELY frustrating.... I was send ANOTHER new router, this time a new model. No difference. The dropouts have continued and are in fact becoming more frequent. An NBN technician came in last Thursday and added what he called an adapter to the back of the internal NBN box, claiming it would 'improve performance' but the same evening the dropouts started again. Another technician is due to come in tomorrow. I gather from other chatrooms that in the case of HFC, outside cabling might be ageing/rusty, but I am sure Optus/NBN will do everything they can to avoid costly external repairs. It is incredible that consumers have no recourse... You pay for a service, you do not receive it, yet there is NOTHING you can do to get anything fixed. In any other industry/service this would not be tolerated...

Occasional Contributor khios
Occasional Contributor

I feel your pain. 

A few months ago while on adsl we had dropouts often .. tech came and replaced the plug.. that fixed it.. "upgraded" to nbn and all was good for about 2 months.. then someone unplugged us from the fttn box.  Now we have 20 -30 dropouts a day. I've had a new modem sent out.. next will be a tech... and it wont be my house .. I'm about ready to try get out of my contract and goto fixed wireless :/ I've paid out 240$ in the last 2 months and hardly been able to use the next. Cant stream any shows.. 

Nbnco and the libs have a lot to answer for :/

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

A second NBN tech visited my home and the drop-outs seem to have stopped. He replaced connectors in the outside NBN box and the connector inside on the wall. He said, the old HCF/cable TV connectors don't handle the new freqiencies well. So anyone with similar problems should insists on the same fix. Begs the question why the first tech didn't do the same thing... Wifi strength issues are still there though despite getting the new Sagemcom 5366 modem...

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That sounds like a great outcome in the end, glad to hear you had much better luck with a different NBN tech.

Thanks very much for returning to Yes Crowd to let us know, that it really helpful info!

0 Kudos
New Contributor EightyYears
New Contributor

Had a similar experience. Had replacement modem sent and were installed. There was no improvement - until the NBN closed down the HFC line for repairs (they called it 'upgrade' but is still a HFC cable line). Since then for the following four days everything has been working perfectly and faultlessly. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

EightyYears,

What did your repairs involve? Did they dig up the HFC line or was it just at the box end?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors