Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
sk-95780
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus modem cannot connect internet via existing data point

My scenario is I have an NBN connection box in garage, had a cabler installed a data socket on the wall next to NBN connection box, another data socket installed on the wall in living room. A modem from other provider able to connect internet by plug in Cat5e cable on the data socket in living, and data socket in garage to NBN connection box (Modem -> data socket in living room -> data socket in garage -> NBN connection box). I have no problem using internet via NBN for the last 4 years. Recently I change my internet provide to Optus, received the modem from Optus, trying using the same way to connect the internet. It doesn't work. I have to connect Optus modem directly to NBN connection box to get internet access, which mean I have to leave the modem in garage. That is not a good idea because the telephone cannot be in garage all the time.

I tried to find out whether the cable is faulty in the wall by connecting the NBN box directly to Optus modem, modem to the data socket in garage, data socket in living room to my laptop. It works fine, that mean no faulty cable in the wall.

Can any one help? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlexRH
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Optus modem cannot connect internet via existing data point

Gah! How frustrating 😞

As it does involve your personal wiring, we wouldn't be able to assist I'm afraid.

I'd recommend isolating the connection/wiring and organising a private electrician to take a look at the current set up.

Let us know how you go! 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos