cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor jeepers
Occasional Contributor

Optus fined by ACCC

Optus has been fined 6.4 Million Dollars for misleading (Lying) to cutomers about having to join the NBN or they will be cut off and not telling them they had 18 months to make the switch,

Its an up and down Business isn't it One day given Kudos for the fastest RSP and the next being fined 6.4 Million for virtually lying to customers.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Optus fined by ACCC

The telling them they have 18 months does not apply - these were not even Optus fixed line customers - just mobiles.

Should never have been sent the email to start with as they were not fixed line customers on older technologies.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I think you have the wrong ACCC fine i am talking about. Optus was fined 10 Million Dollars for the Mobile one but this applies to the Customer being told to switch to the NBN or be cut off:
https://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/disconnected-very-soon-optus-hit-with-6-4m-fine-for...
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Your posting 2 different articles.

This current one was the SMH one.

Optus could not have cut any of those people off as they were NOT fixed line customers to start with.

Actual link: https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/optus-to-pay-64-million-for-misleading-nbn-disconnection-claim...

This whole thing happened in June last year, legal system is a slow joke.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Misleading and lying are two different things. One can be inadvertent and the other not. In this case (despite the poor form Optus has shown in this area with other big fines) I suspect Optus did make a genuine mistake and just sent out a generic email to a lot of customers that didn't apply to a subset of customers.

What I would like to know is why Optus felt it necessary to fight this in court and go so far as to have a ruling filed against them? That process probably cost more than the $6 million in fees and makes a mockery of the "cooperative" stance they say they took.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos