Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
haryen
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus email account

Have been Optus customer for everything including mobile, adsl, landline for more than 15 years. I'm moving to a new house and need nbn connection, possibly will be using another nbn provider. However I have an optus email that have been with me for as long as I'm with Optus. I do not want to lose this email address. What is the best way to go about keeping this Optus email? 

Is it possible to: 

1/ get a prepaid broadband and attach my current email to it ?

2/ can Optus offer a standalone mailbox ? If so, how to go about doing it? 

3/ can I attach the the email account to my mobile postpaid plan with Optus ? 

Pls help. I don't want to lose my much loved optusnet email account! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Optus email account

I had Optus chat tell me that prepaid MBB would work, as well as postpaid. They said phone plans wouldn't work, but I suspect they would, if prepaid MBB would. Make sure whatever you choose is brought into My Account before you close the landline.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Haryen,

Unfortunately you need an Optus broadband account to get an email address - Telcos provide email services to make it hard for you to leave. So unless you want to pay for two monthly plans you will need to start making plans now. The good news is that migrating emails is much more efficient while you still have you old email address. Its a little bit of a hassle but not as much as you think as you run the old and new addresses at the same time. The other big advantage is that dedicated email providers are generally much better at handling emails (spam prevention, security (Two factor authentication, features, integration (calender etc.), account recovery, etc.). If you decide to then

1) Ditch the sentimentatlity - brutal huh?

2) Pick a free online provider and set up an account. I'd suggest gmail (because I know it)

3) Get gmail to import existing emails from the optus email.

4) Set gmail to grab new emails from the optus email. Optionally set a tag against these emails to easily recognise them.

5) Go through the last month or two of emails and send out your new email address to them

6) Go through your apps (banking, online, shopping accounts etc.) and update your contact email (especially any that send you emails for log in confirmation

7) Set up Two Factor Authentication for much better security.

After a few weeks you should see less stuff coming via the Optus email account and more coming direct to the gmail account. You can quickly spot any important emails that you can send a response to get them to update their email address for you. After a month you should be able to largely shut down the Optus email.

Note that while you do this you should be using the gmail interface and not the Optus one to handle emails. But the Optus one is always still right there if you want to access it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

haryen
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter for your comprehensive reply, very informative. I will start the migrating process now. 

Cheers 

0 Kudos