cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus, can you please stop lying about NBN slow downs?

As you may be aware, LOTS of people reporting NBN slow downs lately. I've been having a horrible experience as well (see below hourly speed tests for my 100mbit NBN fibre connection for the last 16 hours). This has been going for at least a week now. If you're patient enough to wait 40+ minutes on the phone, you learn that "there's an NBN upgrade" in your area, or there's a an influx of users, or whatever excuse Optus comes up with that day. People are given different answers and I don't believe any of that. I know there is NO NBN upgrade in my area because NBN actually lets me know when there's one. 

So, can someone from Optus tell me what's going on? You were very enthusiastic when you were selling me Fetch TV but what's the point of having that if I have 1mpbs connection? 

Capture.PNG

12 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Optus, can you please stop lying about NBN slow downs?

Sorry to hear about the issue @bigboned. I'm not really able to comment on other users, but if you wanted to send us a PM with the full name, account number and date of birth on the account, I'd be happy to have a look into this for you and get to the bottom of what's happening with your service. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I feel your pain mate im in the same position .. what ever it was started full on about a month ago.   What are you using for speed test it looks like it keeps all your previous speed tests is that correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I feel you as I am currently facing the same issues just like yours and told the same thing as you did when i called optus technical team and finally after 3 weeks they told me that I am having a network congestion with the server I am on and they cant give me the ETA of when they will upgrade the cvc with more bandwhich. What I think is that they wont upgrade their cvc until 1st of june 2017, because nbn and upgrading their new cvc pricing with discounted prices and etc, so I dont thinkoptus going to spend any money for their customer until 1st of june. You can read the info regarding this new cvc pricing here from NBN Co website "http://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-releases/New-CVC-pricing-model-to-d..."

And I am cancelling this service which gives me no benefit in staying any further.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for letting me know. I'll give them until the end of the week for a resolution. Otherwise, I'll go back to Skymesh. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

They finely told me there are big NBN  problems and exchange equipment has to be upfraded  as they are overloaded , but new customers still be adding daily  ,that is why our problem has been getting worse each week . But they are still happy to charge us full amount  even though they are not delivering what we are paying for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

all you people talking about changing  ISP's  or Telcos  the problem is the NBN    and  does not matter if you change you will still be in the same boat  and paying for what you are not getting  -they are all tight lipped about the NBN stuff up .   we have to wait  to even be told when the NBN will upgraqde their equipment at local exchange . 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hahaha yeah LOL, I just asked them to cancel my contract since they can't do anything about it and cannot give me a resolution time aswell and they will waive off my cancellation fee in my next bill(well that's what they told me, I bet there's going to be another issue when I ask them to waive it off). You have the rights to cancel your current contract if your problems or issues are cannot be resolved within a reasonable time. I feel very sorry to whomever just made a nbn contract with optus.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@RONALD106 Not all ISP shares the same CVC since they have to buy the CVC directly from NBN CO to meet their consumers demands which is very high at the moment and not all ISP can afford many CVC since it cost quite alot at the moment. and optus has failed to meet the consumer demands because of the irresistible Unlimited Data plan 😑.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi guys,

I have the same issue. I just wondering if we could send a collective complaint about it? As I've just get connected to this wonderful NBN from Optus and discovered this mysterious congestion that they like to talk about. So I paid 200$ connection fee and as I just moved to a new place and had no time to go deep with the Internet service last month, I paid a bill for the last month and now i'm facing the same problem as everyone here. The funny thing that to resolve this issue they offered me to get the speed pack 3 to test if it will help by paying 10$ extra and if it's not going to work I have an opportunity to leave them without paying a cancellation fee. Is it a joke? They want me to stay another month and pay 10$ extra to TEST their NOT PROPERLY WORKING SERVICE? Another reply the next day from the live chat was: "upgrading the speed pack usually doesnt work since its the network that's congested..". So how would you call it?

Firstly they were silent about the congestion in the area during the peak period that they were aware of.

Secondly they want me to pay more and stay just another month even with the knowledge that upgrading speed pack is not going to work.

Thirdly they hinted me that: "Congestion can be fixed however, it will take long and we do not have any estimated date of when it will be fixed.." that just means "get lost and don't ask any questions".

Fourthly they told me that: "you can opt out of the contract without cancellation fee".

So let just summirise that: OPTUS advertising a service that is not provided, collecting connection fees from customers, also first or depends how patient a customer is - bill, and after the question about NBN speed araised saying that if you don't like it you can cancel your service. What sort of business is that?  

What is the way that all unsatisfied customers that expirience the same problem (SLOW NBN DURING PEAK HOURS) can be compencated for they troubles? Especially when you loosing money for subscribtion on the INTERNET that you not able to USE due to NBN problem. So you have no TV, INTERNET, LINE PHONE, losing money on subscriptions, cannot perform remote work, etc. Take it or leave it solution from OPTUS is a disrespectful and disgrace that is not appropriate in any way. Who is going to repay for all of this? 

Let's imagine I have a restaurant with an entry fee that included some food, you are paying this entry fee and got rotten tomatoes as "included food" of course you not going to eat it, you might even dare to order some dish from the menu if you skipped those "included food" but the dish will be the same, will you complaint? Of coursre, but what if management will ask you to buy another dish to check if it still not good or a bit better? And after that they will simply say:" If you don't like it you free to go without any penalty that you didn't eat our food". How long this restaurant will function? So why OPTUS is still connects new customers to NBN in this case? Is there something wrong with the regulation and the standards ("The ACCC has provided guidance to service providers to ensure that their advertised broadband speeds represent those actually achievable by consumers, and not just theoretical maximums.")? Is anyone seeing some sort of scam and misleading and deceptive conduct here?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors