cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus cable broadband to FTTC NBN issues

After multiple calls to tech support and sales I am unable to get a concise answer for this.

I currently have Optus Cable broadband - installed since 2011. I was unable to get ADSL at the time and the technician who attended cut my phone wire and put through instead the co-axial cable to the telephone port where the modem was then connected.

Fast forward to 2020 and I have applied to migrate to the FTTC NBN - and know that the NBN modem will need to be hooked up to a phone port in order to work.

My issue is that there is no longer a phone port (as it has been changed by Optus to a cable port) and I cannot get an answer re: who's responsibility it is to change to back to a phone port.

NBN website says if it there is no port - contact your service provider.

Speak to Optus and they say different things every time i speak

- it is NBN's responsibility to make sure there is a working port

- you will have to get your own cabler to fix it

- wait for the NBN tech and then ask us etc

Has anyone had this issue and if so what was the end result.

I do not feel it is fair for me to pay for reverting the cable port back to a phone port especially if Optus were the one that changed it due to being unable to provide ADSL.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus cable broadband to FTTC NBN issues

You case is very unusual, and I can see why there is buck passing.

I assume that the phone cable that was cut was a Telstra one, correct?

Even though the NBN website says "if there is no port - contact your service provider." that should only be referring to situations where you've never had a Telstra phone port, not for cases of damaged ports.

The NBN is now responsible for that Telstra phone port, damaged (which should include repurposed) or not. The NBN do replace phone ports and the phone lines if necessary (they did both for me). 

You should not be paying for anything.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Just a note that you decided to get the cable put in. If you wanted ADSL then Telstra are required by law to provide a working telephone connection to your house. So the cable is there because of your decisions and Optus don't 'owe' you to change it again now.

If there is existing phone infrastructure then NBN will use that and provide all cables and wall ports as needed. If that is not the case then usually you need to get the conduit put in to the front of the house. At this stage I believe the NBN will do the install for you.

Note that its possible you could ask the NBN tech on the day to unhook the Optus wall plate and cable and use that to pull some phone cable through (from the inside of the house to the outside). Then they pull the Optus cable back again. You can only see on the day.

At this stage I would just book the appointment and talk to whoever turns up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

@petergdownload Had not decided to get cable - was told it was not available due to lack of free connection at exchange and was given cable in lieu.
Think pulling the cable through might possibly be a fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc That's correct re: it being a Telstra cable.
Fingers crossed the NBN tech does the replacement!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

While that might have been the discussion you had it wasn't what was happening.

1) You book Optus for ADSL connection
2) Optus says they can't due to no copper cable
3) You get no service and don't go with Optus

At this stage you were presented with a new option which you agreed to. The choice was 100% yours to make even if it didn't feel like it at the time.

Do let us know what the NBN tech does when they turn up.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@jkochhar87 wrote:

Fingers crossed the NBN tech does the replacement!!

The biggest issue you are going to have with the NBN tech is the fact the the current Optus cable is still active. Even though NBN now own the Optus cable infrastructure as well, because Optus still have an active service running on it they may not be willing/allowed to touch the Optus socket. Its just so hard to gauge what's going to happen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'm going to change my answer. @YetAnotherAcc should be correct. The NBN guy should pull a new line in for you (and a new wall port). Whether he uses the existing cable as a drawstring is up to them on the day. They may also put your wall plate in another part of the house entirely. Again depends on the tech on the day.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

The NBN tech was more than helpful - replaced the entire wire from the road and installed a port to plug the modem in!! Finally on the NBN!! 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Wo ho. That's the hard bit over (usually). Now you can enjoy the speed (download and upload) as well as the freedom to try any plan on the market whenever you want. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.
0 Kudos