cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor whunt2000
New Contributor

Optus beyond slow

So I have rebooted my modem a few times.  Nothing has changed with wiring.  After the storm in Rockhampton the other night this is what I get on a speed test.  I hotspotted off my phone to have a usable internet.

I have been told Optus is over subscribed and I think that might be right, based on these speeds.  

Time to make enquiries I guess with other providers. 

speedtest.net

Tags (1)
5 Replies
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Re: Optus beyond slow

Hi

If you internet is ADSL those are the sort of speeds you would expect and providing you have a limited number of users should be suitable for most of your needs including streaming.

NBN would be a different matter.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor

It is NBN, so not acceptable.  I beleive Telstra has had an outage in the area and I guess Optus is using their network, which begs the question, why should I go with Optus who are just piggy backing off  Telstra.  Optus cannot offer any better performance than Telstra in the area, so I will be closing my account in the new year.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Telstra and Optus use the same NBN Network. If Optus can't meet the speeds on the plan you have signed up for you are able to cancel without any costs but you do need to speak to them as they will need to check the speeds and investigate if there are any faults.

If you do wish to change providers check with your neighbours what speeds they are obtaining.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor

Tell me what the minimum NBN speed I should expect from Optus.  I don't want to hear that it depends on this and that.  There must be a minimum acceptable speed.

What is an acceptable minimum speed for NBN from Optus?

Thanks for your help.

No Kudos.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor primosolada
Occasional Contributor

There is only one NBN. The minimum speed is the same whichever provider you choose. Only Optus can tell you what minimum speed you can expect from Optus.
Not wanting to hear the full story means that you will never understand the peculiarities of your networking environment. The main determining factors are your distance from the node, and the health of your copper wires. More or less the same as ADSL.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors