cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Contributor Daithi
Contributor

Optus and off-shore call centres

Disclaimer:  This is not a complaint about Indian (or any other nationality) support staff.  It is a complaint about how Optus manage the use of these staff.

At this point I have rung Optus around 25 times since Feb 24.  In doing so, the poor unfortunates on the other end of the phone have very patiently listened to my growing anger at Optus's customer service.  Every so often, I've actually gotten through to someone who is willing and able to help, and I'm sorry to say, invariably the peoiple that have been willing to help have been Australian.

Now, I don't think that this is a reflection on the unfortunate support officer on the other end of the phone.  Rather I think it is a result of a poort customer service model on the part of Optus.  

I may be speculating wildly but this is what I think is happening...

Optus probably have a core staff of their own support officers and engineers.  These people will know Optus's systems and have access to investigate customer concerns more deeply.  The size of this staff is probably arranged so that these staff are never idle.  Once these staff no longer have capacity, further calls will be directed to a 3rd party provider who will manage any further calls.

If done right, this shouldn't have any effect on customer service.  As long as I get the assistance that I need, it doesn't matter what nationality the person providing assistance is. Also, if the current model is used with an australian 3rd party provider, the outcome would be similarly bad.

My suspicion is that the contract with these 3rd party providers has certain key perfomance indicators (KPIs) which end up negatively influencing customer service.  

If the 3rd party staff do not have access to run diagnostics on a user's connection, they need to be expected to escalate the call to someone that can and to do so at the time of calling!  If there is a KPI about minimising the level of calls to in-Optus staff, the outcome will be that anyone whose problem is even remotely complex will have their issues stagnate for weeks because nobody wants the 'bad statistic' of a referral to Optus engineers.

This will not be a good outcome!

Tags (1)
10 Replies
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Re: Optus and off-shore call centres

Hi Daithi,

Whilst I can appreciate your frustrations in calling so many times - I can confirm our staff are equipped to handle your enquiries no matter what their geographical location.

If you'd like me to look into your query further please post back with a fault reference or order reference number. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor Sinderella
Contributor

After several disastrous & unsatisfactory contacts with off shore call centre (& a $250 cancellation fee added to next bill, when I was in fact calling to upgrade my plan), I came to the conclusion that I was not putting myself through it anymore. The odds were not in my favour anyhow, as Simple requests or amendments were not done, despite friendly staff and assurances.

i now go to an Optus shop and ask them to liaise with the off shore call centre on my behalf. It works! You wouldn't believe how quickly & efficiently the unseen people on the other end of the line do what's required first time no worries, when they are talking to Optus in Australia. They can't get away with anything then!

Contributor Sinderella
Contributor

Optus may think they are saving money by using off shore call centres, but are they really?

i believe it is costing Optus customers! Are the call centre personnel being paid for the time they keep us on the line?  That's all I can conclude, as every call to them  is painfully and UNNECESSARILY way too long. To make matters worse, often what's requested is NOT EVEN done, so customers must face calling again and wasting more time and patience!  I'm not alone in this view. Call centre staff are 'pleasant and helpful' on the line, but this is of no consequence if the outcome is unsatisfactory....

optus has great product (NBN & Fetch fantastic)  and value packed bundling to match but really let down by the call centre. 

New Contributor Reewel
New Contributor

I can only agree....Optus provide a good product but their customer service totally lets them down. I have had nothing 

but frustration trying to deal with customer service on the phone. I went through a change of ownership on my contract May last year, just a plain name change! What a debacle... I had no service for quite some time and I still to this day have some total strangers name on my bill every month and they cant explain why???? I cancelled my optus fetch a few months back, and am still receiving a bill for it..... Its easier to pay it than to try and deal with them as I am moving the rest of my products soon anyway. I have told them many  many times that as soon as my contract expired I would be moving all my products to another provider. My contract has now expired and I am about to start the process. What a relief. 

RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey @Reewel - sorry to hear about your experience with us Smiley Sad More than happy to have a look into the billing side of things if you can PM me through your full name, DOB and the account number or service number there.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor JacquelineGratt
New Contributor

I have found dealing with the call centre to be a most frustrating process. I have been dealing with the Fetch team and I have been told so many contradictory and untrue things that I wonder if the call centre staff are adequately trained or paid enough to care. I have wasted a decent chunk of my time trying to sort out the delivery of Fetch Box.  I have now resorted to asking staff for their name and staff ID when I call. My NBN service will be connected on the 30th of this month and I will be so surprised if all goes smoothly.

I am relatively new to Optus having switched my mobile a few months ago and now signing up for the NBN and Fetch package. If someone asked me if I would recommend Optus the answer would have to be no based on service.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

@JacquelineGratt Is the Yes TV by Fetch going to be attached to your mobile or NBN? They wouldn't be able to ship your set top box until the service is active, so if it's going to be attached to the NBN, you will get it within 5 business days after activation.

If you're getting a mini box on your mobile and just having issues with the order, please send through your details here → Report a problem with TV or Content

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor westhoff
New Contributor

I'm not sure my problem is about offshore call centres but, I have been having a problem and have been told repeatedly a timeline for when it will be resolved and those dealines pass over and over again. Originally, over 100 hours ago now, I was told my issue would be resolved in 2 to 4 hours. I would love if someone that knows how to handle problems, could look into it for me, as I would like to be able to, not be afraid to answer my phone. My reference number for costomer service is 2017105004836.  It's to the point, that I am seriously considering cancelling my accouunt with Optus and moving on, after many years.  No body seems to know what the problem is, or how to fix it, but some magical people they reported it to, will definitly have it on before the close of the day, but that never actually happens.  Then when I ask for someone in charge or in management the phone mystriously goes dead. This has happened 4 times now, out of about 20 calls that I have made, without getting the problem fixed. I am soooo tired of typing to costomer chat or waiting on hold for over an hour sometimes, thinking ironiously that talking to a live person would somehow be better. Please someone at Optus help me so I can answer my phone again. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Sweeto
New Contributor

I am absaloutley fed up with the lack of customer service from the oversea customer service call centres

0 Kudos
Top Contributors