Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
zlick47
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus Sagemcom and Netgear Nighthawk

I have just had a Optus Sagemcom installed in my house. The parental controls are limited, so I want to add my Netgear Nighthawk to the home network in order to take advantage of the superior parental controls. 

How would I do this? I have been looking at videos on YouTube that show how to set up a router as a range extender, access point, and bridge. I have only a rudimentary knowledge of how these work. I should also add that I have a TP-Link range extender installed on the current network, which has an NBN box feeding into a new white Optus Sagemcom. 

I did something similar back in Taiwan, using a Hitron router and running it through the same Netgear Nighthawk R7000. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jack_YC

Re: Optus Sagemcom and Netgear Nighthawk

Hi there @zlick47, I understand with the Parental Controls for the Optus Ultra WiFi modem, you can limit when certain devices can access the network. You can also add restrictions to certain URLs by using the URL Filter. 

You can access these settings by searching 192.168.0.1 in your web browser, then logging in using the details on your modem. From there you can then select Network Settings to find the Parental Controls. 

I also recommend taking a look at Optus Pause. Optus Pause allows you to control the screen time for the devices connecting to your network. 

As for your query with the Netgear device, that isn't a device we support so we don't have any further info regarding that. However it's possible that some of our other users here may have experience with that device and will be able to help you out with that.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

As you have an NBN box your not on FTTN or FTTB, correct?

Do you use the Optus home phone?

Is the Sagemcom the Ultra?

What's the IP address of the Nighthawk? is it 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1?

0 Kudos
zlick47
New Contributor
New Contributor

"As you have an NBN box your not on FTTN or FTTB, correct?"

I am not sure how to confirm this, but I can say that the first device in the house is an NBN box, which plugs directly into the big white Optus Sagemcom. In the setup guide, it was the first setup type listed.

"Do you use the Optus home phone?"
Yes, we do.

"Is the Sagemcom the Ultra?"

I believe so. It matches the photo below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=optus+sagemcom+modem+ultra&rlz=1C1ONGR_en-GBAU966AU966&sxsrf=AOaemvJ...

"What's the IP address of the Nighthawk? is it 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1?"

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@zlick47 wrote:
I am not sure how to confirm this

Enter your address here and check out the Technology used in your connection section.

That means that you can simply connect the WAN port of the Nighthawk into a LAN port of the Ultra without any network IP conflicts. You will be in a "Double NAT" configuration which should work fine in general for most people, so see how you go with that basic setup.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors