Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor gmsumich
New Contributor

Optus NBN trouble

I was connected to NBN a couple of months back via HFC and connected the nbn modem to the existing home set up that I had with Optus cable and all was working fine until last Sunday when I started experiencing issues.

Set up is as follows:

ARRIS CM8200 NBN Modem connected to existing Sagemcom Optus WIFI modem.

Sagemcom is set to bridge only as using Netgear ORBI for home wifi.

Ethernet 1, 2, 3 & 4 used on the Sagemcom were used to connect Fetch TV (via DLINK powerline adaptor), Orbi and a 5 port switch with Apple TV and Sonos connected.

This set up was working perfectly until last Sunday when everything stopped.  The only thing working is if I plug my pc directly into the NBN modem or the Sagemcom. All other products e.g. fetch tv, orbi etc are no longer connecting.

Any assistance would appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Optus NBN trouble

I assume you have the Sagemcom F@ST 5366TN as you only connected recently.

Check that the firmware is on v...85 at least (85 should also be the latest). Older versions have been known to lose settings unexpectedly. Are the settings still correct?

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Assuming the settings are still in place, your NBN appears fine. The issue would most likely be the Sagecom modem. Can you unplug that and just have the NBN plugged straight into the ORBI (and then the 5 way switch etc?

Should probably all work then with just the Optus landline no longer functional (do you use it?)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor gmsumich
New Contributor

Thanks!  Yes just had Optus on the phone and they say NBN is fine and so is the modem.  I'm now running fetch etc via the Optus Modem and all is fine.  I will try the firmware upgrade and try plugging the Orbi in directly as we do not use the phone line.  My Orbi is one of the older ones RBR50. Could there be a compatibility issue?  Also, seems I cant put the optus modem in bridge mode or turn off the wifi.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor gmsumich
New Contributor

Spoiler

Its the F@ST 3864AC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@gmsumich wrote:

My Orbi is one of the older ones RBR50. Could there be a compatibility issue? 

Can't think of any reason why there might be. If it worked on your network before through the sagemcom, it should work when connected directly to the Arris.

or turn off the wifi.

There is a physical wifi on/off button at the back of the Sagemcom is it that that does not work, or switching it of in settings?

If you can enable/disable wifi it might be an idea to do a factory reset to see if it untangles itself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Its the F@ST 3864AC

So when you switched to NBN did Optus not send you a new router? All routers shipped by Optus since very late September last year should have been the 5336.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi  - It may be that the firmware version of your F@ST3864AC  at one stage may have supported Bridge Mode has had a successive automatic firmware update which had the feature removed - I can't see a Bridge Mode option setting in the F@ST3864V3AC FW 10.33 - I may need to go to Specsavers?

If all wired devices are connected and work well through the Sagemcom modem as primary controller which manages NAT, Firewall, DHCP and optional Wi-Fi On/Off, have you connected the Orbi RB50 as an Access Point or Router. If it is only being used as a secondary extended Wi-Fi or primary Wi-Fi Network, Access Point is recommended - it will fall under all rules of the Sagemcom with no conflicts which may otherwise arise if the Orbi is set to Router mode. 

If you wish to use the Orbi RB50 as the primary controller connected via its LAN port to the Sagemcom (WAN port), make sure you have different IP ranges assigned to eliminate any IP conflicts. A double NAT configuration would ensure and this may or may not be an issue depending on where you decide to connect all your existing devices and their respective applications to.

Alternatively, you may wish to set up the Sagemcom as an Access Point with a fixed IP address from the Orbi (LAN-LAN) to eliminate any double NAT.

0 Kudos